Chapter 2

The sun was setting over the kingdom of Veridia, casting a beautiful orange and pink glow. It resembled a painting as I headed out the front gates and into the woods—hopefully unnoticed—and headed west. The forest around me grew thicker with trees and vines as I headed further into it.

I stumbled over rocks and branches, mostly feeling my way through because it was getting darker. I touched a tree, and immediately pulled my hand back. Something poked me. I squinted, trying to look at my hand. Just as I did that, I took one step forward and tripped, landing in a pile of thorns.

"Though I much like nature, I feel it is acting against me at this current moment," I mumble to myself as I pluck a thorn—the sixth one, might I add—from my bottom region.  After removing the unpleasantries, I pull out my map to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

After a few minutes of walking, I sat next to a huge, round tree. It looked peculiar and out of place, but I was thankful for some time to rest.

It wasn't until after I had gotten up that I realized that around the tree was the entrance to a cave. It was discreetly carved into the side of a mountain and definitely did not look inviting. But, I had to go in, because it also matched perfectly to the 'X' on my map.

The cave was massive, more than it let on on the outside. I held my bag close, not wanting to lose the only connection I had to my mother's case. (I may or may not have stolen some of the poison before I left.) The deeper I got, the darker it got. As soon as it got so dark that my vision completely left me, I heard a strong, female voice call out.

"Who's there?" the voice rang through the cave, loud and clear.

"I-I am Prince Flynn Agreste of the Kingdom of Veridia. I seek an audience with the one they call the Huntress. Is that you, M'lady?" I struggled to find my words as the thought that I may be talking to the Huntress kicked in. The sound of footsteps—more than one pair—filled the cave. I flinched, not knowing where anything or anyone was.

Suddenly a mysterious bright light filled the cave, and I could see a woman standing a few feet from me, her bow aimed and ready.

I watched her move, my heart beating a mile a minute. She watched me, too, but not with the same interest. Instead, her lips formed a frown and her eyes set in a glare. Her pet Panther stalked around the side of the cave, eyeing me warily. I couldn't take my eyes off of her, though. She seemed to have me in a trance as she walked closer, aiming her bow at me. "Why are you here?" She asked me. I step backwards, tripping over a rock. She pulls her bow back further,  and aims down, at my heart. "Why are you here? I won't ask again."

"You're the Huntress..."

The woman watched me a moment before she lowered her bow. "What do you want?" She asked, a harsh tone to her voice.

"I need your help."

"With what?"

I sighed. "Finding my mother's killer."

She turned suddenly, her eyes a bit less cold. A few minutes passed before she finally answered. "Alright, I'll help you. But only if you help me, as well."

I looked at her, curious as to what she could possibly need my help with. I decided not to think on it, and just agreed. I guess I'll find out soon enough.