Chapter 13: Daniele Monteleone

The wide and spacious tent canvas threw back with a slap. The woman who appeared before Monteleone could be none other than Lara Croft. She was dirty, her clothes torn and her hair dishevelled, but it was her, no doubt with that way she looked at him, as if he was a maggot.

"Signorina Croft! What a pleasure to finally meet you!" He got up, put down the Martini on the rocks he was sipping and shook the explorer's dusty hand with the finest of courtesies. "I'd kiss your hand if you'd remove that leather glove..."

"Who are you and why do you have this camp cordoned off?" Lara cut, with little wait to talk.

It had been a bold operator who, having fled from his tent, waited for them at the pit edge, eager to report what happened. Furious, Lara wanted to go stand up to Monteleone immediately, but Kurtis advised to put the scepter in a safe place first. However, after coming out of the excavation, they had been surrounded by Monteleone's men and escorted to his tent.

"Don't you want to take a seat?" Said the mafioso, making a sweeping gesture towards a comfortable chair next to him. "Your friend can also sit if he wishes."

Kurtis had just entered and studied the situation with a grim face. He looked at Zip and Selma, who sat hunched in a corner. The Turkish girl gave him a desperate glance as if saying: Don't trust his courtesy! Kurtis nodded slightly.

"I won't sit until you answer." Lara insisted, not looking away from the handsome fifty-year-old man.

"Let me then explain myself. My name is Daniele Monteleone and I own a large restoration company in Sicily. I received news about an archaeological dig under Cappadocia. I'm deeply interested in following this excavation and that's the main reason I'm here."

"This excavation is protected by law and supported by the Turkish government." Lara replied dryly. "You've no right or permission to be here."

Monteleone smiled peacefully, and in doing so revealed a pair of silver teeth and a gold one at the back of his gums. "So I heard from this beautiful young Turkish woman. But understand me, signorina Croft, my background and influences exempt me from any legal obligations. Now we're equals."

"You've cordoned off the camp at gunpoint and locked the workers under threat of death." Lara spat between teeth. "Am I mistaken?"

"No threats, dear signorina, no threats!" Replied the other, shocked. "We only have ensured they remain in a safe and well protected place until we had this meeting."

Liar, thought Lara, furious. They had fallen into the hands of the Sicilian Mafia. And all she could do for now, since they were hostages, was to try to solve everything through diplomatic channels. Gunfire would be insane, since all Monteleone's men were armed and Selma, Zip and the other workers could be injured or killed. I don't want another slaughter like in Egypt. So, deep breathing, she displayed her best smile and sat gracefully in the previously offered chair. Kurtis discreetly stood beside her, behind her back.

"I knew you were capable of negotiation." Monteleone said, with another brand new smile, as he took the Martini to his lips again.

At that very moment a woman entered the tent, which was already crowded with the conversant and Monteleone's personal guard. She removed the fabric from the back of the tent and walked past Selma and Zip, seating herself next to the mafioso.

Lara needed only a single look to recognize a prostitute. She had long curly hair with a deep reddish hue, white and freckled skin, and eyes of a curious honey colour. But her opulent figure, with sinuous curves and large breasts, was clad in a dress that left little possible for the imagination.