...17...

Disclaimer: I own only the plot.

Max POV

The Flock was spread throughout my room like a maze of bodies. Fang slept in the bed with me. The moon shined bright through the teal curtains and cast shadows on my walls. The digital clock on my nightstand glared at me in the darkness. My eyes stayed open. I couldn't sleep; a sinking feeling like a rock in my stomach. The steady even breathing of my friends filled the noiseless air. Fang's breath blew onto my ear and his arm was around my waist from behind. I lay on my side, facing the window. Maneuvering so that I didn't wake anyone I got up from my bed and found my way through the maze to my door.

My bare feet made little slapping sounds on the tile of the kitchen. I walked to the cupboard to grab a glass before heading to the sink and filling it with water. The cool liquid slid down my throat and settled around the rock in my stomach. I couldn't tell what was bothering me. The last time I had this feeling, Fang was in trouble. I hated it. Knowing something was wrong yet not knowing what it was. It was like I was Helen Keller and the world was a silent, black place. I padded my way back to the room and crawled under the covers with Fang again, trying not to wake him. He stirred in his sleep and his arm that I had placed back over my waist, tightened.

"You okay?" He asked in a sleepy voice.

"Fine, go back to sleep." I told him and turned to snuggle deeper into his chest. He hesitated but soon his arm loosened and his breathing evened out again.

The morning sun peeked past the buildings of the outside world and scowled at me through my window. It burned the back of my eyelids and made me see red. My eyes fluttered open to see that the Flock was also slowly rising from their sleepy dazes. I glanced up to see Fang's eyes open and alert. He seemed to have already been awake for hours. His gaze locked with mine and his face visibly softened. I smiled up at him before sitting up on the bed. I rubbed my eyes and threw my legs over the side. Everyone was awake now.

"Good morning, everyone," Iggy said cheerfully from his place on the ground. He was answered with a bunch of tired grumbles and mutters.

"Can you cook breakfast, Iggy?" I asked.

"Of course," He said and got up to walk to the kitchen.

Nudge stretched and yawned before getting up and walking out the door to join Iggy. Ella was next followed by Angel, then Gazzy. I got up from my seated position on the bed and walked over to my dresser. I grabbed a black T-shirt I had stolen from Fang and some jeans along with a fresh pair of panties and a bra. One quick shower later I was walking out of my bathroom to see Fang still in my room. He was laid down on my bed with his hands behind his head and his feet stretched so far that they hung off of the edge.

"Why aren't you with everyone else?" I asked as I put my dirty clothes in my hamper. His eyes opened and flicked to me when I spoke. His shoulders lifted and fell in a shrug as answer. I sat next to him on my bed. My hand found his hair and I combed my fingers through. The silky feeling of the strands between my fingers made me feel safe and warm inside. His eyes closed in pleasure at the feeling and his hand came up to grasp mine. I smiled at the gesture before getting up to walk to my door. Strong arms came to wrap around my waist before I could grab the handle and they pulled me back towards them. I laughed at Fang before trying to grab the handle again. He tugged me away and his lips gently kissed my neck. I tried for the handle again but was turned around by Fang and his lips were on mine. I smiled under his kiss and pulled on his hair. I broke the kiss and he frowned down at me. He went for another but I ducked before he could reach me and held my finger to his mouth.

"Not right now." I said and you could hear the laugh underneath the words. Before he could protest I was out the door.

Nudge sat on the couch with Ella on one side and Gazzy on the other. Angel sat on the ground in front of them. They were watching TV. Iggy banged around in the kitchen. I sat on the loveseat and tried to get the knot in my stomach to go away. Fang came from down the hallway a few minutes later and even with his hair wet and limp he was gorgeous. He had obviously just taken a shower. I looked away and he came to sit next to me on the loveseat. I leaned on him and his arm came around my shoulders. I closed my eyes to bask in the feeling of this moment; the secure feeling that I had people who I loved and they loved me and nothing was wrong.