Chapter 50: Night Out

Waking up a few hours later, Kendall looks around not seeing Chris. Getting out of the bed and making her way downstairs carefully she sees him passed out on the couch, one leg up and leaning against the sofa, one hand on his chest, the other arm over his eyes. Kendall smiles watching him sleep, knowing he needs it. She walks to the kitchen and opening the fridge—their mom's stocked it. Kendall starts to make dinner.

         Waking up an hour later, Chris looks around and stretches, getting off the couch and yawning. He grabs the half-empty beer can and walking to the kitchen, seeing Kendall cooking.

         "Babe sit down, I can do that," Chris says.

           "No Chris sit down you need to rest. I know you haven't slept well in days and all I've been doing is sleeping. I need to do something," Kendall assures.

           Chris sighs emptying the beer can and throwing it in the trash. Walking over to Kendall, sliding his hands on her sides and nuzzling her neck. He takes a deep breath and kissing her throat a few times. Kendall smiles leaning back against him, missing her belly.

          Moving Kendall's hair to the side and kissing underneath her ear and then kissing her temple, "Can I help you do something?" Chris asks.

            Shaking her head, "no I just want to do something for you, you deserve it, babe," continuing to cook. "Actually can you open a bottle of wine that would be nice."

           Chris smiles and nods, knowing how much Kendall misses wine. He walks away and grabs a bottle of wine and two glasses. Pouring each of them a small portion and setting her glass down beside her, Chris pulls himself up on the counter—taking a small sip.

           "Tell me if this taste good," Kendall says, putting some rice and chicken on the spoon and moving between his legs.

           "Yeah it's good," Chris smiles, wiping his mouth.

           "Good," she smiles, walking back to the stove and taking a sip of her wine.

            He smiles, hopping off the counter and grabbing some plates, setting the table.

            "Thank you for setting the table babe," Kendall smiles as she grabs their wine glasses and the bottle, Chris grabs the pan.

            They sit down and begin to eat, Kendall staring at her food, not even hungry as she pushes it around. She gives up, drinking the wine.

           "Kendall you need to eat."

             "I'm fine, I'm just not hungry," she smiles, pouring herself a full glass of wine—taking another sip.

            "Maybe you don't need any more of this," Chris smirks, grabbing the bottle and setting it beside him.

            "Really Chris? What the hell, I just had a glass," Kendall says annoyed. "I don't need you telling me to eat or how much to drink."

             "Well, maybe you need to counteract what you're drinking and eat something, not just fill yourself up on wine."

           Crossing her arms, glaring at Chris, "Why are you treating me different? You'd never get on me about this before...before you know."

            "Because I am after you know what happened. I'm just looking out for you."

            She reaches down and scoops up some food and eating a few bites, "happy? I was trying to be a good girlfriend and cook you dinner," Kendall says softly. She wipes her eyes and stands up, walking to the living room.

             Swallowing hard, Chris just sits there, looking at Kendall's plate and then his own before standing up and walking to the kitchen—doing the dishes and cleaning up. As he's doing the dishes, the TV volume getting louder. Finishing up, he turns off the kitchen light and heads to the living room and stepping in front of the TV—turning it off.

            "What are you doing?" Kendall frowns.

           "Let's do something..."

           "Like?" raising her eyebrow, surprised.

           "I don't know, just something that will take our minds off what happened and to distract us from going at each other's throats."

            "I'd like that," Kendall nods. "Let's go do something fun."

            "Okay what do we want to do? What do you want to do?"

           "Let's just have an old-style date night like we used too. Go play something or go to the boardwalk and walk," Kendall suggests.

            "Okay, well let's get out of our hobo clothes," winking at her.

            Kendall looks down at her sweats and t-shirt, "you're right we do look like dumps," she laughs.

            They both get up and make their way upstairs and change their clothes. Chris pulling on some jeans and a v-neck shirt, Kendall changing into a long shirt and leggings, pulling her hair up.

           "Ready?" she says.

           "Yep," Chris smiles.

           Getting to the boardwalk, Chris grabs her hand, and they begin to walk, taking it slow with Kendall. Quiet for a bit as they keep walking, Kendall stopping and leaning against the railing, taking a deep breath of fresh air.

            "This was a perfect idea baby. It's nice to get out."

           Chris smiles and walks over to Kendall and moving behind her. He places his hands on either side of her on the rail and kissing her cheek then resting his chin on top of her head. He then takes her in an embrace looking out the water, her back pressed against his chest.

            "I love you, Chris," Kendall says turning to look up at him, leaning back against the railing. "Thank you for everything you've done the past few days, well for everything really."

           "You know I love you too and I would do anything to make sure you're okay."

           "I know, and you've gone above and beyond especially after how I've treated you. But I forget you're hurting too and I'm sorry," Kendall sighs before leaning up and kissing him a few times. "Let's go have fun."

           "Lead the way darling," Chris winks. They begin to walk again. They walk, some of the carnies trying to get them to play their games.

           "What do you want?" Chris asks pulling out his wallet. Stuffed animals are strewn everywhere.

          "That one," Kendall pointing at the grey stuffed elephant. The carnie handing Chris three balls.

          "The lady gets what she wants," Chris smiles winking at the carnie. Taking a deep breath, he pulls his arm back, firing the ball at the bottles—all tumbling to the ground.

           The carnie looks at Chris surprised since that hardly happens on the first ball, "lucky try."

            "No he's just amazing," Kendall beams, the carnie handing the elephant to her. "Thank you babe."

            "You're welcome." nodding to the carnie as they continue to walk, enjoying the Florida weather.