Prologue

Meet Genesis Avery, an eighteen year old Vegan girl, who never wanted any attention. Her whole life had been normal, average. She'd hardly dated, had never had any lasting group of friends. Now meet Alekzander Gray, a two-hundred year old vampire that lives off blood, lust and fear. His whole life has been the complete opposite of normal. This is the story of how one science essay and a lot of bad publicity changes them both.

~

Everyone needs a little love in their life. Everyone needs that special spark that keeps you going, that makes life seem better, if for a short time. Even the people who think love is an overrated figment of the imagination, created solely to make people feel better about themselves.

Without it, life would hold no interest to the typical human. Humans thrive off that giddy feeling we get in the pit of our stomach when we realize that someone's waiting up for us – that someone actually cares. It's the feeling you get when you realize that someone in the world honestly cares for you; not for anything superficial, like money, but for you.

Some of us, however few, don't believe in all that romance crap. We realize that love doesn't bring eternal happiness; it brings hurt, depression, insecurity. Unlike lovesick fools, we aren't fooled by all the unconditional and irrevocable love crap. This isn't twilight, after all.

I am one of those people. My name is Genesis Ann Avery and I'm eighteen. I'm a senior in a high school that I despise, full of people who despise me. I'm Vegan and Straight Edge. I'm sarcastic and unemotional because I have to be. This is my story, and don't be fooled. It won't be a happy tail of sunshine and daisies and love and laughter. This is the story of how everything changed for me. For better or worse? You can decide.

Let me tell you how I see the world.