(5) Unpleasant Things

COMMENT

VOTE

ENJOY

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"What are we doing up here?" I demanded, shivering and rubbing my hands over my arms in an attempt to make the goosebumps go away. Who knew vamps got cold?

Alekzander looked knowingly to my arms, making my hands stop dead. "You won't get cold once you're feeding regularly. For now, your body hasn't made the full change. After you have blood in your system, you'll be warm."

I noticed that he ignored my question and asked again. He just looked down from the tall, brick building we were sitting on. There were a few stores below us and people were wandering down the street. It was dark but, for some reason it didn't bother my sight at all.

I could see everything — from the people walking up and down the street directly below us, to the people in the windows of the apartment building a few buildings over. I could clearly make out words on each of the windows of the shops below us.

I could also hear everything. Cars going by, people talking, a couple fighting, a bus stopping somewhere, children laughing, more children fighting over a toy.

Alek caught sight of a young couple, a boy and a girl, and started to watch them intesenly. They were walking hand in hand down the street. He turned his head towards me, sending me a wicked smile, before standing.

He spread his arms wide, almost like wings, before he dived off the building. It was so fast that no one could have possibly seen it, but I could easily follow all his movements. I could clearly make out the way he pulled his arms back to his body and as he flipped himself up, holding his feet in a better position to land. His leather jacket rippled slightly around him. I’d never seen anything so aesthetic. He was like a dark, majestic angel. He landed so softly in the shadows that no one paid him any notice, continuing on with their day, completely oblivious to the danger that was standing close enough to them to reach out and touch.

He looked up at me briefly, pointing at the couple. I realized a second too late what he meant.

By the time that I had launched myself off the building, not even a quarter as gracefully of his jump, he had already walked out into the street towards them. I bit back my scream and tried to right myself in the air so that I could land quietly. I had a little trouble getting my feet into the right position. I landed softly enough that a human wouldn’t have heard me but it sounded almost deafening in comparison with Alek's graceful landing.

I looked around, looking for Alekzander. He was slowly stalking the couple. I waisted no time running towards him.

“Alekzander!” I called out. I was attracting the couple’s attention, but I didn't consider that a bad thing. Alekzander was immediately out of the shadows, trying to look busy looking into a shop’s window. I caught up to him at a human-paced run. The couple continued to stare at us, speeding up their pace.

“There you are...” I hesitated, silently praying for the couple to start walking away again. I purposely ignored them, pretending they weren't there in an attempt to make them think I hadn't even noticed them. “What are you doing?” I hissed at him.

He smiled and gestured to the store, loosely allowing his hand to swing across the couple as well as the shop’s windows. “Shopping.”

The couple had stopped staring but had really picked up the pace and were probably listening.

I lowered my voice to a whisper, there was no way they could have heard me. “You can’t just kill them.”

He smirked. “And why not? Do you know them?” His cocky smile widened, giving away his pleasure at the idea of draining someone close to me.