Chapter Eleven

"I know you two will feel uncomfortable about this, but you'll get used to it," Mrs. Aguilar said as she stood in front of the two boys.

Edd swallowed the lump in his throat, knowing the moment was here to practice their kiss scenes. He had been both dreading it and just wanting to do it already to have it over with. It really wasn't anything to be nervous about, but he merely didn't feel like doing it at all.

"Okay, Kevin," Mrs. Aguilar began, "When you're leaning in, make sure the audience doesn't see as your carefully caress Edd's face, placing your thumb on his lips." She looked at the sockhead and smiled. "You're going to have to hide his face with your head a bit to cause a better illusion that it's a real kiss."

Edd nodded.

"Kevin, of course, you'll only be kissing your thumb," she told the redhead, and Kevin sighed, seeming to sound relieved that Edd almost couldn't help but feel a little offended.

Would it really be that terrible to kiss him?

"Okay, you two," Mrs. Aguilar said. "Let's make magic." She clapped and Kevin licked his lips as he began to lean in.

Edd's eyes widened at how close Kevin was. He could feel the other's breath against his lips, and then, they just both stood there, just like that. Kevin felt frozen up about what he had to do, but he tried as he lifted his hand and placed it on Edd's cheek, his thumb slowly touching Edd's lips.

Edd held his breath as Kevin closed that small gap between them. Though Kevin was merely kissing his own thumb, Edd could practically feel it, and slowly, he closed his eyes, tilting his head slightly to the side.

"Very real," Logan said as he walked by. "I kind of thought they were making out."

Kevin pulled away and shook his head. "Jeez. Later personal space."

Double D laughed and nodded. "Yes, it is quite uncomfortable."

"Oh, but like I said," Mrs. Aguilar spoke up, "you'll get used to it! Just keep practicing. That was great for a first try."

Double D and Kevin exchanged looks. The sockhead worried slightly about how awkward so much closeness would make Kevin, but with the expression on Kevin's face, the redhead seemed unphased. In fact, he seemed a little too okay about the whole thing, which only further surprised Double D. He expected someone like Kevin to be beyond grossed out and almost want out of the play completely. Then he realized he wasn't being fair and he needed to give Kevin more credit. They went ahead and practiced the entire scene with the kiss added in to see how it all played through, and when Mrs. Aguilar gave them a thumbs up, they knew they were done for the day.

"Alright," Mrs. Aguilar said, "I'll see you guys tomorrow at the same time. Smile! Opening night is closer than you think!"

Double D gulped at the sound of that, because she was right. The days were practically flying by and he didn't want to be suddenly too nervous about performing, but the closer the big day came, the more butterflies formed in his stomach at the thought. He looked out at the seats. Most of them would most likely be filled with families and friends, and Double D shuddered at the thought of all those eyes on him.

It'll be alright, he reminded himself, there is no need to panic. It'll be fine.

And he knew it would. He knew his lines, his blocking, the kiss had gone okay, but he still couldn't help feel a bit nervous. With a sigh, he headed backstage to begin cleaning up as the actors changed out of their costumes.

He could hear most of them talking about opening night, about who was coming to see them. They also mentioned having a cast party after the final night's show in which everyone agreed to going to, except Kevin. Kevin made sure to be on the other side of the changing rooms, away from the others. He didn't feel uncomfortable with them, but he just liked having his alone time when most of the actors were tied to the hip with each other.