The Study of Clubbing

"You should come with me, you know." Lanie called from my living room. "I heard you get in, in a flash, if you know what I mean."

I rolled my eyes and turned a page in my Chem book. "Because I want to go somewhere I need to degrade myself."

"Oh, don't be so conservative. How do I look?"

Lanie walked into the room wearing a skin tight neon pink dress that cut off a couple inches above her knee. She paired this with nude colored heels that grew her five inches. Her makeup was as always perfectly applied, and her blond hair was in a ponytail at the top of her head.

"You look great, a tad slutty though." I looked over her outfit and it was a couples inches away from hooker status. Maybe I should go with her, just to make sure no one mistakes her for one.

"That's just because you dress like a grandma, get up. You're coming with me." Lanie said as she started walking towards my bedroom.

"No, I'm not I have an exam next week. I have to study, or else I'm screwed." I yelled out to her as I put my chemistry book on the coffee table.

I entered my room and sure enough she was rifling through my closet taking out dresses left and right. I thought about arguing my point on staying like I had every other time I had refused to party with her, but I did feel like I needed a break. For the passed few weeks I had been studying like crazy for my final chemistry exam. Wise words from my mother rushed into my head.

"Focus on school, but not to the point where you can't say you enjoyed yourself."

She's told me that ever since the summer after graduating from middle school. I had found out I could go to summer school and so I did. Every summer. I graduated high school my junior year, and started taking General classes at my community college that summer. My mom always worried I was over working myself, which I one hundred percent was. All I wanted was to be done with high school, move to college be done with that, and find a job. So far I've been on track with the schedule I've set up for myself. I'm nineteen going on twenty with only a semester left of classes.

Holy. Shit.

"You know what, sure I'll go." I say to Lanie, in a shaky voice. She made an unintelligible squeal and sat me down on my bed.

"Perfect, I'll do your hair after you get dressed. So, surprisingly you have tons of cute dresses, but I picked out only the ones that are club appropriate." she said the last part in a mock authoritative voice.

I looked at my options. She laid out two dresses: a black lace cocktail dress and a baby blue cling dress. Both dresses I had bought because; one, they were on sale, and two the fit me perfectly.

"I'll wear the black."

"Nice, I'll let you change. If I come back and you're in a cardigan, I will kill you cutting you out of it. Love you, hun." she left the room after shooting me an innocent smile.

I quickly pull on the dress and a pair of thin black stockings. I run under my bed to look for my black lace up platforms. I barely finish lacing them up when Lanie barges back in.

"You take forever! Oh, damn you look so fucking hot. Holy SHit!" she came over and started shoving me into the restroom. She plugged in the curling wand and started to spray something throughout my hair. "I hate you, your hair is so thick and healthy."

"Because unlike you, I don't burn it everyday. And dye it over, and over, and over again." I twirled the hair Lanie wasn't curling. It was black, and ended a little beyond my waist. I hadn't cut my hair beyond trims since the sixth grade.

"No, its because I'm old already." Lanie said with a loud sigh. She took the piece of hair I was twirling and began to curl it.

Lanie was four years older than me and was a year away from finishing college. We had started the same year, but I already was already focusing on my major and she was taking general ed. We had met on orientation when she thought I had lost my family. Little did she know she was meeting seventeen year old who was almost done with college.

"Alright, just need some hairspray and we'll be off."

***

The second we got in the club Lanie ran off to dance leaving me alone, not knowing what to do. I walked over to the bar and sat down at on a chair to the left. I finally saw Lanie grinding on some tall guy with glasses. I rolled my eyes and pulled out my phone.

*I'm at a club. And a pretty A-List one*

I pushed send and started browsing throughout my phone. A few minutes later my phone chimed, and returned to my messages.

*You at a club? Are pigs flying? Texting your mom? Lame! Just kidding, have fun be safe, are you wearing the date rape nail polish I gave you?*

I giggled to myself and responded quickly.

*Lol, yea I'm trying not to overwork myself. No, I lost it.*

*Love you*

"So, you're at a club by yourself texting your boyfriend?" a voice said close to my ear.

I turned around and came face to chest with some guy who had to be a couple inches over six feet. I looked up and he was tanned and gorgeous. He had black hair and a buzzed smile. He put out his hand and his smile grew.

"Hey, I'm Calum." he had a deep voice, with weird accent I hadn't notice before. I took his hand and gave him a firm handshake.

"Althea."