Million Dollar Aussie

"Nice to meet you Aletha, my name's Calum. Wait did I say that already?", he shook his head and his buzzed smile grew a little more. "Sorry, vodka."

"It's Althea, and wow how many have you had. I would have never pegged you for a vodka guy." I said examining his large physique he must have thrown back a substantial amount of shots. He tried mounting the bar stool and almost fell over.

"Jesus Christ, sorry. I've only had five vodka sodas and a shot or two of whiskey. I'm a total lightweight.", he crossed his eyes as if to show so. I laughed because it seemed his eyes momentarily stuck that way. "So where's your boyfriend? He could have saved you from dealing with a drunken bloke like myself."

I laughed, "I don't have a boyfriend I'd never have the time, plus sometimes its fun watching drunk guys like you trip over themselves."

"Okay so you're gorgeous, you have no boyfriend, and your not complaining about my idiotic drunkenness. Wow, that was a lot of hard words.", he took an exaggerated breath. He was my kind of drunk, happy and theatrical. I had come to now all shapes and sizes of drunk and this guy took the cake. "Will you go dance with me Al-Althea, right?"

"What accent is that if you don't mind me asking?", I asked avoiding his question.

"Australian, and dance with me?", he asked with earnest eyes. Quick not to let me get out of his prior question.

"No. I don't dance sorry.", I give him my blunt answer, and await the quick attitude change. But it never arrives, if anything this rejection only encouraged him.

"Neither, do I. Everyone will just pay attention to me dancing like their grandpa.", he gave me his best drunk smile and I couldn't resist the chance of seeing him battle with his long limbs to make them dance. He must have taken my smile as an answer because soon enough we were winding our way through the crowd.

As soon as we were within the mass of bodies, I realized I was brutally lied to. Unless everyone's grandfather dances like he was trained from birth, because that was the level of Calum's skill. He moved in perfect sync to the music pounding around us. It was odd to see such a tall guy like him move so fluidly. He finally grabbed my hand and added me so smoothly to his movements its hard for me to believe we hadn't been partners for years. I laughed out loud as we moved, bumping into others and dodging drinks as if it were planned. Calum, despite his state, realized fairly quickly that I shared in his lie. My family with an abundance of aunts had shown me a thing or two about the ways of dancing. 

"How rude of you to lie to an unknowing drunk," he whispered close in my ear. I was surprised to learn his breath smelled of vodka and a strong mint; I was expecting something unpleasant.

"How rude of you to lie to an innocent girl," I whispered back, before turning my face. He wrapped his arms around my waist and we continued dancing song after song.