Chapter 4: Betrayal, Ballgowns, and B*tches

Some days it felt like Danny didn't notice me at all anymore. He stopped checking my wrists. He stopped talking to me somedays. Other days all of his attention was on me though, but now those days are rare. I felt so betrayed by him. I could hardly breathe. I felt so overwhelmed with emotion. He was all I thought about. I was mad, sad and in love all at the same time.

"The Beaver builds a dam for its family." I sat in my room watching animal planet. There was a knock on the door, a secret knock that Danny and I made up. I walked down to the door, "Hey." I said, Danny and I hadn't spoken about the fact that we almost kissed. I guess he doesn't want to risk things with Lizzy. It's fine. Sort of.

"Who's the best guy in the world?" He asked. It wasn't until then that I noticed the box he had in his arms, a dress box. I was about to cry. I remembered the boutique he took me to. We were window shopping on a trip to New York. We were only 12 then and neither of us could afford anything. "Unique Boutique" The dresses and trinkets there were out of this world, they were the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. Danny opened the box and pulled out a beautiful white ballgown. On the inside of the skirt it was filled with plastic flowers and vines. At this moment I wanted to put the dress down and kiss him. This had to have been the sweetest thing that anyone had ever done for me. Shit, I could feel the tears start to fill my eyes. Since I couldn't kiss him I put down the box and hugged him, the shoulder of his flannel was now covered in my tears. I inhaled his scent. Coffee, mints, Lizzy's perfume. I felt ridiculous to be crying on him. I kept having memories of the moment we almost kissed. The scent of Lizzy wasn't as strong on him, but it was still there.

"Should I come over before the Formal and we can get ready together?" He asked me, I slightly pulled away from the hug so we could see each other but still hug. "That would be perfect." To be completely honest, before this moment I wasn't sure wether or not I'd actually go to the formal, but seeing how much the formal, Lizzy and having another girl in his life meant to him, I couldn't turn it down. The last thing I'd ever want would be to upset Danny. Sure, Lizzy's a bitch and I hate her, but I want Danny to be happy. I'd trade the world for his happiness.