Scene 41: House Arrest

Travis was running around the virtual world with her new, still unnamed, animal companion. The creature watched her practice the martial arts combinations she had to master to reach her next level. As she spun into a kick, the trees along one edge of the meadow started waving and growing. She continued with her kata; the system wouldn't count it if she didn't complete the routine. But the creature started growling, and then whining. Drea turned, still performing the kata, when she realized the trees hadn't been growing at all. They'd been moving closer.

She couldn't remember if she'd ever heard of trees attacking someone in game before, and they were moving too quickly for her to consult the in-world reference guide, so she snapped up her animal companion and teleported back home.

Except the teleport didn't initiate, and the creature was now barking, a sound that rattled the bones in Travis' head as it traveled through the headphones. The trees parted as they started to surround her, and a cool wind blasted her in the face. She swung at the trees with her free arm, but they easily overwhelmed her. She crumpled into a ball, trying to shield the animal with her body as she tried to protect her head. Another cold blast brushed her, and she screamed. One of the trees swiped at her with a low-hanging branch, and she struggled against it, trying to throw it off her. The cold only grew stronger and more bitter. She closed her eyes. I wish I was home.

The barking stopped. She opened her eyes. She was in the apartment, in her room, in her bed. Her blankets were strewn in different directions toward the edges of the bed, and her door was open. A dream. It was just a dream. She took several deep breaths as she tried to calm down. Why is my door open?

Through the doorway, she could see her mother laying on the couch in her common area. Mom is never on my side of that wall. What's going on here? She wrapped her robe around herself as she got out of bed and wandered out. "Morning, Mom."

Shiri was asleep, lightly snoring. Travis shook her head and went back into her room. Her alarm hadn't gone off, which was odd. She was late for work, but no later than she'd been any other time this week. As quickly as she could, she showered and dressed. Hoping Lynda was her usual efficient self, Travis grabbed her bag and walked briskly to the island. The counter was bare. Travis looked around. No Lydia. What's going on here? Am I still dreaming? She set her bag down on the stool quietly and walked into the kitchen, wondering where the housekeeper stored the things she needed. In her haste, she closed a pantry door too sharply.

"Lydia, I told you we don't need your services the rest of this week." Shiri's voice floated sleepily into the kitchen.

Travis' heart sank. No Lydia made it harder to get out of the apartment unnoticed. "It's me, Mom. I"m looking for breakfast."

"Just order in," came the airy reply.

"There's plenty of food right here." That I have no idea how to cook because we've always had a housekeeper. "Why aren't you in bed? It has to be more comfortable than the couch."

"I could sleep in my bed if someone wasn't so intent on ruining me." Her mother's voice was clearer now, more awake.

"Who's trying to ruin you?" Aside from yourself. Travis finally had what she thought looked like a fairly decent breakfast: fruit and peanut butter. It wasn't glamorous, but it would probably work.

"You are, Little Miss Refuses to Support Me in My Time of Woe."

Travis opened drawers until she found the knives. There were so many sizes and the cutting edges were all different. How do I know which one to use? She looked at her fruit again and selected a smaller knife with a thin jagged blade. Let's see if this works. "How am I not supporting you? I defend you at work when people ask."

"You shouldn't be at work at all." And with that, her mother stormed into her bedroom, but left the door open.

Travis took advantage of the moment and texted Will: I'm trapped. She's sitting here watching me so I can't leave. He didn't respond. She sent the same message to her girlfriends, but they also did not reply. Now what do I do?