Chapter nine

The grass was still prickling on every inch of his exposed skin when they just lay there together, Harry’s limbs entangled with his, his head resting on Louis’ chest as his hands carded through the mess of curls. It was a good thing that their spot was rather secluded and hardly anyone ever came there, because the tabloids would have loved pictures of the two naked lovers by the river, without a doubt. There was no need to talk, there had been more than enough I love you’s during their seemingly endless love making and all other things could wait. It was just them, the sound of nature surrounding them and their breathing and hearts beating. Until Harry’s cellphone started blasting out an annoying beeping sound, that is.

“Fuck, is it that late already?” he scrambled to his feet and started looking for the pieces of clothing that belonged to him, pulling up his boxers backwards in his haste.

“What time is it?” Louis questioned, not as alarmed as his husband because he didn’t exactly grasp what was happening.

“Half past two. Beth’s school goes out in half an hour and it’s at least a 45 minute drive and then I have to pick up Jack and Amy from daycare and I should also stop at the supermarket to get food for tonight’s dinner because there’s nothing left in the cupboards and fuck, shopping with the three of them is really close to my idea of hell actually…” Harry rambled on, hopping on one leg as he pulled on his jeans, and god, didn’t Louis realise how it was really time to get moving already?

“Harry, relax. Falling over in the river won’t help you get there in time.” Louis sat up and gathered his clothes as well, pulling on his own jeans while Harry was already tying his laces. “How about you go shopping and I pick up the kids? Or the other way around, whatever you prefer, but I don’t really know my way around the supermarket so it might take me a while to get the shopping done.”

“Would you?” Harry paused, looking up at his husband with hope shining in his eyes.

“What, pick up our children? Yes, of course.” Louis replied, smirking and rolling his eyes. He pulled on his T-shirt and stepped into his shoes before following Harry to the parking lot in a quick pace. Harry was about to get into his car and leave, but Louis cornered him against his door and demanded a kiss before he let him go. “See you at home, pretty boy.” He winked and unlocked his own car to drive off.

---

“Hey Beth, sorry I’m late!” he smiled, panting just a little from running all the way from his car to his daughter’s classroom. “Hi miss Jenson, sorry to you too.” He hoped his charm would still work on the teacher who was left only with his daughter. From the way she smiled up at him from behind her desk, he’d say it did.

“No problem, mister Tomlinson, it happens to everyone once in a while. Beth has already started on her homework, I believe.” She was young, probably in her first few years of teaching, and pretty, a brilliant smile accompanied by friendly eyes hidden behind her red rimmed glasses, blond hair falling down to her shoulders. Louis wouldn’t have minded making some more small talk with her, he still had his ways with the ladies, if he could say so himself, but Beth demanded his attention by pulling on his sleeve.

“Look dad, I’ve already finished my math’s homework so now I only have some reading to do over the weekend.”

“That’s great pumpkin, maybe you can read Jack’s bedtime story tonight.” He winked and laughed as she shook her head furiously.

“No! Jack always wants to read about dinosaurs and dinosaurs are boring. I’ll read my own books, thank you very much.” Beth replied sassily, making both Louis and her teacher bite their lips not to burst out laughing.

“Mind your language young lady. Anyway, let’s get your bag and get out of here, we still need to pick up Jack and Amy from daycare before we can go home.”