Chapter Twelve

*Christine's POV*
I feel my heart beating out of my chest as King Raoul stands up and walk down towards me. "You are a pleasant surprise," he says as he begins to walk around me.

"Umm," I say, not knowing how to respond. "Thank you, your Highness."

"All you need to do is do one more performance and then you will be mine," he says as he begins to walk back to his throne.

My blood runs cold. Another performance? "Excuse me, your Highness," I say. "Yesterday, you told me that this would be my last performance."

I watch King Raoul turn back to me. An amused smile spreads across his face. "Oh surely my guard told you what happened today," he says, amused with himself.

"The guards told me nothing," I say, confused.

"Well," he starts with a twisted smile, making me uncomfortable. "We charged the people who came to see your performance and we got so much that I decided to have you do one more performance."

I feel my mouth open in shock. "Why would you do that," I ask, still in shock.

"Why to help pay for our wedding of course," he whispers, dangerously close to my ear. I tense up and take a step away from him.

I feel a hand get a tight grip around my wrist before being turned back around. In front of me is King Raoul's face, a few inches from my face, a look of irritation on his face. "Most women are dying to be in the position you are in," he says as he moves his hands to my arms. "Are you not grateful for this honor of being this close to your king?"

I try my best to get away, but his grip tightens. "If you answer my question, I will let you go," he says with a sly smile.

I look into his eyes. "I would be more grateful if the king would let go of me and let me go home," I say as calmly as I can.

Anger fills the king's eyes as he lets go off me, but it disappears and turns into something I can't describe. He takes a step towards me, making me take one back. He smiles with a small laugh. "There is one question that has been bothering me though," he says as he begins to walk around me again.

"And what is that," I ask, concealing my anger.

"How is it that your voice continues getting better," he asks, making my heart stop. "I mean it's only you in that cottage. So how is it possible that your voice gets better when it's only you?"

I feel my blood run cold. I can't tell him that Erik helps me. He'll have both me and Erik executed or worse, just Erik executed; I can't live without Erik. I say the first thing that pops into my head. "My father gave me voice lessons when I was younger," I say. "And he always told me that I am my worst critic, so to help me, my father told me to compare my voice to someone I look up to and see if I would make them proud. And that is how I am able to make my voce better, because I sing and make sure the person I look up to is proud." What I said was actually true; I just didn't tell him who the person was.

I see King Raoul nod his head in understanding. "So that means you wouldn't mind if  I was to move you to a room into the kingdom to practice then," he says with a mischievous smile.

My heart stops. "I um," I stutter. "I would prefer to practice alone just in case I mess up."

"Oh don't worry," King Raoul continues as he walks back to his throne. "You would be alone in your own tower."

I watch him sit down in his throne as my mind races. I can't be put in a tower; Erik won't know where I am. "Guards," I hear King Raoul yell, pulling me from my thoughts. The two doors open and two guards walk in. "Take her to the west tower."

The two guards grab my arms and pull me from the room. "Let go of me," I say, loudly. They ignore me as they continue to pull me from the room. The guards ignore me as they continue dragging me to the tower. "Let me go! Someone help! Please someone, help me!" I see the servant and other guards not meeting my eyes, meaning that no one is going to help me.

I sigh in defeat. "Oh Erik," I think. "Please find me."

*Erik's POV*

I walk down the old, stone stairs, leading me deeper into the catacombs. The path is lit with a few lanterns that hang from the ceiling, providing little light, but enough to the light the stairs so I don't miss one.

As I continue walking down the stairs, I begin to think about Christine. Is she okay? Did the king hurt her? Did he.....do something to her? No! I can't think like that! She's fine.....right?

I eventually make it to the end of the stairs and enter a dark tunnel. Since I can easily navigate my way through darkness, I just keep walking. I have no idea which way to go so I just keep walking straight. The tunnel keeps going on straight and I'm about to turn back to see if I missed a turn when I hear someone yell "Guards." I instantly recognize the voice to be the king's.

I keep walking when until I hear the voice perfectly. "Take her to the west tower," I hear the king say.

I'm shocked. Why would he send her to the west tower? What did she do? "Let go of me," I hear Christine say, pulling me from my thoughts. I hear the footsteps above me and follow the sound.

As I follow them, I hear Christine yelling for help, which gets me nervous. What did she do? Or what is the king going to do? Eventually her yelling stops, but I know she's still alive because I hear her soft footsteps after the guards loud ones.

"Don't worry, Christine," I say silently to myself. "I'm coming to get you."
----------------------------------------------
Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! And I want to say Happy Thanksgiving to you all!