Chapter 1: Stormy Weather

Water poured down on the Light Territory in abnormal quantities. The young boy advancing through the drowning street tried to push away the thought that it was a very bad omen for what he was about to do. He pulled the hood of his coat further down his face and turned the corner made by the butcher's shop. The shutters were closed there, as they were in every house in Ralir. That included Ti-Awy's home, where his parents and sisters were taking shelter from the ongoing storm. That thought, too, he pushed away. What he was on his way to do, had to be done.

Now he was facing the immense white-marble-and-gold castle that dominated the capital. He only could see a very small part of it from here, especially as there was a high wall circling around it. But he did not even look up at its magnificence. If he allowed the castle to dwarf him, all heart would abandon him. He only walked quicker.

As he'd hoped, there was no one guarding the small gate on this side of the city. Whether the Chief of Guard had decided there was no need with that end-of-the-world weather, or if the assigned guard had left their watch because of it, he did not know, nor did he care. What mattered was, with the key he had stored in his pocket, he could open it and enter the grounds of the castle.

He headed for the Park, where there was an old, old oak, where he'd often played with Lii, Ikan, and the others. Those had been easy times, he thought. How easily they had gone away, how far from those times they were now. Squinting up, he though he could make out the shape of their tree cabin in the highest branches. But the rain and the fog made it hard to be sure.

When he was near the oak, he looked around, making sure there wasn't anyone here - friend or enemy. He had come very early, so unsurprisingly, his appointment was not there yet. When he was mostly sure he was alone, he sat in the mud at the foot of the tree, and waited, raindrops trickling down his cheeks like tears - though they were not. He was gritting his teeth very hard not to cry.

He thought he must have waited there for an hour, soaked and shuddering, his anxiety growing with every minute - what if something had gone wrong ? What if they had been discovered ? What if the woman had given up on him, given up on Lii...

Then he saw the tall, caped silhouette that appeared through the myst, walking fast and holding firmly a little girl's hand. She didn't have a coat to cover herself, so that Ti was able to recognize the blonde hair instantly. He jumped on his feet, nearly sliding right back down because of the mud, only gaining back his balance thanks to the trunk of the tree behind him. Lii saw him, and he saw she wanted to break into a run, but the woman stopped her, and pulled her closer.

"There she is" the woman said when they were in front of him. "The guards already know she's out, but they did not see us leaving. You must make haste. Lead her to the frontier of the town, Ti-Awy, near where the river splits. There, I have friends that will meet you. They will take care of her."

"Where will they take her?"

"They are taking me to Shadow, Ti" the little girl said.

Ti looked at her with round eyes, and he knew his already cold cheeks had lost even more color. Lii had a very sad face, but determined nonetheless.

"We can never see each other again if you go there" he muttered.

"I know we can't, Ti. I'm very sorry. But I won't be safe anywhere else. You know what they do with people like me. And besides, I don't wanna live on Light anymore."

"The girl knows what she wants" the woman said. "Now fast ! Take her back. Do you still have your key ?"

"Sure."

Ti showed her the silver key that had let him in. If Ikan knew what he had done with it... Ti could see in Lii's eyes that she was thinking the same thing.

"Good. Now you must go."

"Will you be alright ?" Lii asked her.

"Don't mind me. When the time comes, I shall leave, too, and perhaps we'll meet in Shadows."

Lii nodded, and took Ti's hand.

"The South Gate ?"

He sighed and confirmed.

And off they went, running like the children they were, far from the place the little girl needed to escape to save her life.