Chapter Nineteen

The spacecraft was a million light-years ahead of George's as far as comfort and technology went. Every door whispered as it slid open automatically, elevators whisked us from level to the next, and each surface was smooth and clean and sparkly. It was pure luxury in space, and I was planning on taking advantage of everything it had to offer. Since I was playing the part of a spoiled rich bitch, there could be no harm in indulging myself.

Once onboard, my nervousness in creased. One wrong word, one inappropriate gesture, and George and I would face persecution – or worse. George didn't know that I could keep Charles informed of our movements via telepathy. Our connection had grown stronger over time, and he was a constant companion in my mind.

"Feels a bit sterile, don't you think?" George was inspecting our quarters. We'd been shown to a suite, and promptly locked inside as the craft prepared to leave Blurgum's atmosphere. The commander had claimed it was for our safety during transition, but I doubted they were in any way concerned with our comfort. It was more likely they didn't trust that I had complete control over George. Of course I didn't – he was his one Being after all, and a stubborn one at that.

"You're just not used to the modern style." I ran my fingertips over the smooth tabletop. There was no dust or grit, just high grade polymers designed to withstand pretty much anything. The furnishings in the room were sparse, but comfortable and clean, and newer than anything I'd ever seen. This room, or suite, as it were, looked like it had rarely been used. Everything was so pristine... I felt grungy by comparison.

A blip sounded, and the door slide open. Glad I wasn't standing naked in the middle of the room, I turned to see a young woman holding a package in her hands. When she spoke her, her words were clipped by a strange accent. "The commander thought you and your servant would appreciate a change of clothes." Keeping her eyes downcast, she placed the clothing on an otherwise empty table.

"Thank you." I looked at the pile with distaste. My jumpsuit might be filthy and torn, but at least it was colourful. The clothing on the table was all of varying shades of white. We'd blend in with the furniture.

"If there is anything you need that your servant cannot provide, please do not hesitate to call for me." She indicated a control panel beside the door. "Just press the green button, and I will answer your summons."

Two servants... I could get used to this lifestyle. I looked at George and tried not to smile. "Again... thank you."

As she turned to leave, I noticed her feet, that had been hidden under her long gown, were webbed. "What's your name?" I asked. If she were a hybrid, perhaps she would be willing to help us."

"Eight hundred and sixty-seven."

Confused, I looked to George, certain I'd misheard. "I'm sorry... I didn't quite catch that?"

"If it's easier, you may call me Eight – most do." She bowed her head and backed toward the door.

Unsure of how to respond, I smiled, even though she was looking at the ground, so obviously couldn't see me. "Okay, Eight. Thanks again."

The moment she was out of the room, George turned to me, his face grim. "She's a slave."

"I know." I wasn't stupid.

"She's also a hybrid."

"I know." His pointing out of the obvious was getting annoying. "If you're thinking what I'm thinking, I'm already ten steps ahead... or at least eight." I chuckled at my own joke.

George scowled, clearly not appreciating my humour. "Something about this isn't right. It was far too easy for us to gain access to this ship."

He was probably right, but I honestly didn't care. The lure of clean clothes, a modern hygiene facility, and a hearty meal were distracting me from the reason we had wanted access to begin with. This craft made George's look like a child's mistreated toy.