Night Stalkers /1/

I stood there silently, soft raindrops caressing my skin as a light drizzle moved in overhead. I glanced around nervously, wondering if he was going to come or not. A slight breeze stroked against my bare arms, as I gazed up at the sky.  Dusk was approaching soon, and the sky was transpiring into a gorgeous array of crimson, coral and gold.

Anxiously I fiddled with a button on my blouse, fearful that he would ditch. I knew he was upset, and so was I. But there was nothing I could do.

The waves brushed against the coastline, creating a rhythmic sound. So many times I would listen to it at night, becoming enticed by the melody it created. It was my own little lullaby.

Not anymore. I glanced down at my watch, realizing I was running out of time. My dad would be coming soon, and we can’t be late for our flight.

Sighing, I inhaled the scent of the ocean one last time. I wish I could bottle it up and take it with me. I’ve known this place for the past 14 years; it’s my home. And now…I have to leave. This is all I’ve ever known, and now I’m being ripped away from it.

He’s not coming. I guess I can’t blame him. I really wasn’t looking forward to having to say goodbye either. He was so mad when I told him I was moving, and almost took it personally. But it’s not my fault. I would give anything to stay here.

My gaze dropped to the sandy trail I followed to come to our spot, and slowly began to turn around. As I did so, my eyes widened in surprise.

He didn’t say a word, just gazed at me with those intense emerald eyes. His blonde hair looked messy, but it only made him look cuter. “Sorry I’m late.” He said, digging his hands in his jean pockets.

I forced a smile, even though inside I wanted to cry. “It’s okay, I’m just glad you came. I thought I was going to have to leave here without saying goodbye—to you.” My words almost came out as a whisper.

He was quiet for a moment. “I wouldn’t do that to you. I…just lost track of time.” He was just as torn up about this as I was.

I nodded my head, yet was very aware of how much time I had left. None. “Well, I appreciate you coming and I guess—this is goodbye.”

Finn stared up at my words, taking a few steps towards me. My eyebrows raised, as he reached out and grasped my wrist carefully. I silently watched him, as he reached into his hoodie and pulled out what looked like a charm bracelet. It was small and delicate; silver with little charms hanging from it.

I saw a palm tree, a moon and stars, and a heart. I smiled at the last one, my eyes meeting his. “It’s beautiful Finn.” I murmured, as he fastened it around my wrist.

“Never take it off, okay? Promise me you’ll wear it forever.” He said, his voice sounding gruff. I could tell he was trying not to get choked up. His hand lingered on mine, as I nodded my head.

A harsh breeze whipped against us, making my dirty blonde hair unruly.

I promise. I’ll never take it off.” I could feel tears stinging the corners of my eyes, as he brought his thumb up and wiped it away.

“Rosie I…I’m going to miss you.” Clearing his throat, he looked as if he were debating something in his head. I was shocked as I saw him lower his face down to mine, gently pressing his lips against me.

It was short and quick, but that simple act made my head spin. Butterflies frantically tried to escape my stomach, as Finn finally pulled away.

Wow. I just had my first kiss.

With Finn.

“I love you, Rosie. Don’t forget about me, okay?” He breathed, resting his forehead against my own. I exhaled, my vision becoming watery. A large lump formed in my throat, as I heard a car pulling up. I didn’t have to look to know it was my dad.