Chapter 1: Who Are You?

"ACP Manik..! I want answer..!"Commissioner shouted banging his fist on the desk and Manik closed his eyes to compose himself..
"Sir..!"Manik tried to speak but..
"Silence...!"He again shouted..! We rescued so many girls..! Why you decided to take her with you what is she to you?"Commissioner asked curiously..
"Sir..! Wo..!"Manik himself didn't what was she to him?
"Manik..! She is a prostitute..! Why are you wasting your time..!"Commissioner said in a soft voice and Manik who was standing with his head bent down immediately look at him...
"SHE IS NOT A PROSTITUTE SIR..!"Manik's tone was so cold...!
"How do you know Manik..!"Commissioner was so curious..!
"Wo..! Bus I kn-know..!"Manik stammered..
"How? How can you be so sure? We had rescued her with so many other prostitutes..! Us kay chehry par likha hai kay wo un main say nahi hai? We had her rescued from a known kotha of Kashmir valley Manik..! SHE IS ONE OF THEM..! I Don't think..."Commissioner was saying all this in a flow but he didn't knew how much it was effecting Manik...
"Sir Please..!"Manik cut him in between as he had it enough...
"Please? ACP Manik is saying please for a girl?"Commissioner said in a sarcastic way and picked up his coffee cup from the table..! With that he walked towards the floor length glass window..! Snowflakes were making their way down to join the snowbed outside..! While Manik had nothing to say..!
"Pyaar krty ho us say?"Commissioner asked in a low tone, taking a sip of his coffee and without looking at him..! Manik again didn't had any answer..!"Khamoshi ko haan smjhoon?"He again asked but this time he turned to look at him..!
"Sir..! I just want you to delete her name from the rescued girls list..!"Manik again requested..
"Why would I do this?"Commissioner said walking back to his desk and sat on his rolling chair..
"Because it's my first request to you ever..! Ap nay jo bola I done for you..! Jo mission..! Jo kuch bhi kaha ap nay I did all that..! I promise I won't ask you for anything more..!"Manik was pleading and Commissioner was smiling all the time..!
"I was wrong..! Tmhy pyaar nahi hai..!"Commissioner said shaking his head and leaned forward on the table..! Manik look at him confused..! "Tmhy Ishq hai us say..!"Commissioner retorted back and Manik felt like a shiver went down his spine..!
"ISHQ..! ACP Manik Malhotra aur ISHQ"
"Theek hai..! I will do as you said..! Because I trust you..! Your judgements can never be wrong..!"Commissioner said in such a tone that Manik felt proud as an ACP..!
"So I can take her?"Manik asked in a hopeful tone..
"Yeah..! You can..!"He agreed..!
"Thank you sir..!"Manik was so much happy..! He saluted his officer and walked out..! But before he could step out he heard his officer's words which forced him to smile faintly and that were
"Larki bohat khoobsorat hai..!"
...
Nandini opened her eyes..! So lazily..! Her each and every cell was paining..! But where was she? Last thing she remembered she fainted on that rough floor because of the physical assault of those ladies..! They had beaten her mercilessly..! They wanted her to agree on their conditions but she wasn't ready..! Now she was in a comforting very soft mattress and was tucked in bed nicely..! She sat up..! She got down of the bed and walked towards the window..! It was early morning but snowfall was on peak..! The thing which got her attention was the MAN who was exercising in the deep snowfall bare chest..! In spite of such cold he was sweating..! His back was towards her and his breathtaking tattoo was enough to make her gasp..! Who was he? Was he her owner about which the lady was talking about? The same owner about which the lady was talking..! So she was sold to him? Suddenly a ting of hatred brew in her mind and she felt disgusted..! Now that MAN was done with his exercise and he turned towards her..! She gave him a glare and he walked inside..!
"Hay why are you up?"He asked with a concern  as soon as he entered the room and wore his shirt..!
"Who are you?"Nandini asked..!
"That's not important..! Please you take rest..! I will get breakfast for you..!"He said smilingly and walked out..! Nandini was baffled..!
...
Manik fried two eggs and toasted few breads..! With that he made some coffee for her too..! Adjusting the whole breakfast in the a tray he walked back to the only room in which she was staying..! He saw her sitting on the bed hugging her knees..! She was in his shirt and tracks..! Last night Nurse Alya had came with him and she had treated her..! Moreover changed the clothes too..! He placed the breakfast tray in front of her..!
"Have this..! Then eat those medicines..!"He said softly and picked up the medicines from the bed side table..
"Tum nay khareeda hai mjy? You have bought me from those ladies?"She asked furiously..!
"I told you that's not important..!"Manik's tone was still soft..! He knew she will ask those questions..! He didn't wanted to let her know he was he..! Thankfully his police force had a rule..! That rule was to change the uniform in the dressing room of the office only..! They were not allowed to take their uniform home..! Moreover they were not allowed to reveal their identity unnecessarily ..!
"Why?"She shouted...
"Eat this Nandini..! You need rest..! Don't stress yourself...!"There was no change in his calmness..!
"How do you know my name?"She was shocked..! And Manik was lost in the memory the day he first saw her and heard her name..!
...
Mumbai-Six months ago
"Come on..! Why this way is blocked?"Manik asked in an annoyed tone to his driver..!
"Saab there is a wedding I think..! The way is blocked due to some arrangements problem..!"Driver replied..! Manik was getting late..! Suddenly he heard the cheerful shouts of girls and he unintentionally look at the direction..! He got a glimpse of a short girl..! Her hands were filled with hena..! She was so beautiful..! Very beautiful..! Manik unintentionally once again, opened the camera option of his cell phone and clicked a photo of her..! He was smiling like an idiot..! ACP Manik was acting like a complete fool..! The girl was magical..! When suddenly:
"Nandini..! Nandu..! Chal kanna teri baraat any wali hai..! Aj meri beti apny ghar ki ho jye ge..!"Her Maa came to her and exclaimed..! Then she dragged her away..! She was getting married already..! The taj mahal which Manik had created a few moments ago collapsed instantly..! He bit his lower lip and fisted his hand..! With that he smiled sheepishly..!
"Main bhi pagal he hoon..!"He murmured and driver drove him away..!
...
In last six months he had tried thousand times to delete that picture but he clearly failed..!
"I am asking you how do you know my name?"Nandini once again retorted..
"That's not your concern...!"Manik was confused this time..! Nandini was about to say something when Manik's phone buzzed..!
"Yes Sir..! Ok..! I am coming..!"Manik said on the phone and hung up..! Nandini was staring at him all the time..! "Look..! You have to eat..! I am requesting you..!"Manik said softly and Nandini was so confused..! Who was he?
"Am I a slave?"Her words forced him to stop...! To turned and look at her..! Her eyes were meaningful.
"That totally depends on you..!"Manik let out a riddle and walked out..! Nandini wanted to push the food tray away but his face flashed in front of her eyes and she picked up a toast to eat..!
...
"Can you borrow me a pen and a diary?"Nandini asked Manik next morning he was ready to leave..!
"Yeah..! There..!"Manik said putting up his blazer and pointed towards a small study table..
"What is your name?"Nandini again asked him as he picked up his watch from the table..
"Jis naam say dil kary bula laina..! Bye..!"Manik said softly and walked out..! Last night he came very late Nandini was sleeping..! These were the only words they both exchanged in a day..! Nandini shrugged and got up...! Last day she didn't moved a little from the bed..! All the day she was thinking about him..! Why he brought her here? Who was he? But he acted very nicely with her..! He not for once tried to touch her..! Last night he slept on the couch and she was on bed..! He was not that bad maybe..!
She came out of the room and noticed everything..! It was a hut with only room..!A kitchen whose sink and shelves were overflowing with dishes..! A small laundry area which was stuffed with discarded and dirty clothes..! She bit her lower lip and folded the sleeves of her shirt(Manik's shirt)..! She washed all the clothes and cleaned the kitchen..! She cooked some vegetables and cereals which she found in the fridge..! She ironed all the clothes the whole day passed in it..! It was night now..! She was done with the dinner thing too..! They whole hut was shining in other way..!
"Good job Nandini..!"Nandini smiled to herself as she gave a final approval glance to her work. Suddenly the main door opened and Manik came inside..! He was home a little early..!
"Hi..!"Nandini waved at him hesitantly and he just smiled a little in response..!
"Dinner is ready..! Tum fresh ho jaoa then I will serve you..!"She said in a low tone and walked to kitchen leaving a shocked Manik on place..! But he overwhelmed by her gestures as he saw his clothes washed and pressed..!
...
It's been almost ten days since they both were living like this..! They talked very less as Manik was busy in his work..! He used to leave early morning and came very late at night..! He was happy that the first face he saw in morning after waking and in night before going to sleep was hers..!
One night he came very late and saw Nandini sleeping with her head on study table..! He smiled as she was looking so cute..! He walked towards her and was about to tap her shoulder when he got a glimpse of the diary she had been asked for..! He carefully picked it up and turned the pages..! She had penned down her daily routine..! But the heading which caught his attention was "My story"
Dear diary..!
These six months are like a nightmare for me..! I was so happy when I get married to harshad..! As I was about to start a new life..! But on my very first night he abused me..! He beaten me..! Next five months he treated me like a slave..! Then one day he asked me to come with him..! Then..! Then he so-sold me..! He sold me to some kotha bai's..!
Story didn't ended here..! Those ladies..! They beat me again..! As I was not ready to do what they wanted me to..! They used to beat me until I was fainted..! The whole month passed like this..! And then one day I woke up in HIS bed..! I am living with a man jis ka naam bhi nahi pata mjhy..! But I have a trust that he won't hurt me..! HIS presence make me feel protected..! Par wo mj say koi baat he nahi karta..! Kuch bolta he nahi hai..! Me baat karna chahoon bhi tou baat nahi karta..! Jo bhi ho he is better than harshad atleast he don't beat me..! I don't want to go home as my parents don't want me to be there..! The only person in this world I have is HIM..! I don't know how much he knows about me..! But I know the day he will come to know me he will also throw me out of his house..!
Manik was in tears..! The girl suffered so much..! He look at her and her bare arms..! There were so many wound traces..! It clearly showed that she was physically assaulted and that too so badly..! She stirred in sleep and opened her eyes..! She look at him and the diary he was holding in his hands..!
"Wo..!"She was embarrassed as she knew he read it..!
"It's ok..!"He make it easy for her and walked out leaving her shocked..
...
Manik came home early..! Actually a very early..! Nandini was pressing his clothes..!
"Hi..!"He greeted her and she smiled faintly..
"You are home early..!"She tried to continue the conversation..
"Yeah..!"That was all his answer..! Nandini was frustarted..! Baat q nahi karta ya larka..! Her patience crossed all limits today..! She wanted to talk to him..! That's it..!
"Suno..!"She shouted and turned to look at her...
"Kon ho tum? Mjy yahan q laye ho?"Nandini's sudden outburst was shocking for him but he was a calm man..
"I told you mery bary main jan'na is not important for you..!"His calm and whatever attitude was so frustrating for her..! He sat on the couch to take off his shoes..
"Who the hell are you to tell me what is important for me or not..!"She shouted again..
"I am no one..!"Manik was still calm..
"Then let me go..!"She said looking at him keenly..! The letting go thing made Manik's breath go hitched..! He got up and turned..! Now Nandini was facing his back..
"Haan tou go..!"He said controlling himself as much as he could..! His words fell like a bomb to Nandini's ear..! He was letting her go? Then why he brought her here?
"Main tum say akhri baar poch rahi hoon..! KON HO TUM???"She yelled and made him face her roughly..
"Meri baat..!"Manik tried to argue but..
"Chup..! Shutup..! Why are you so kind to me? Janty ho kon hoon main? I was a prostitute..! Main nahi janti kay main tmhy kahan mili..! Par ya sun lo..! Main aik tawaif hoon..! I am dirt...! Main janti hoon why are you being so nice to me..! Tumy bhi mera jism chye na? Tum sab mard aik say hoty..!"She was yelling incoherently when suddenly she was forced to stop due to a tight slap..!
"Ho gai tmhri bakwasss???"For the first time Manik yelled on her..! She froze on her place..! "Mery sath dus din guzarny kay baad bhi agr tmhy yai lagta hai k main bhi bura he hoon tou tum pagal ho..!"He again yelled...!
"I hate you..! Dafa ho jaoa yahan say..! Nahi dekhni mjy tmhri shakal..!"Nandini yelled and pushed him away..! Totally forgetting that she was in HIS house..! Nandini's words were hurting him beyond limit..! Confused and hurt soul was piercing thorns in Manik's heart with her words..!
"Nan-..!"Manik again tried..
"Go..! Jaoa..! Leave me alone..! I hate you..! You should have killed me..!"She yelled again and pushed him again..! Both were in tears..! Both were in pain..! They had never talked but now when they have talked they fought like complete idiots..! Nandini was behaving like a super fool and Manik did a mistake by slapping her..! He backed off and she fell on the floor..! Both had feelings..! Both were in love..! But What destiny wanted from them?
"As you like..!"He whispered and run outside..! Nandini cried her heart out..! What was going on? She shouldn't have fought with him..! She shouldn't have..! She was guilty now..! She disrespected him..! She was wrong..! But she wanted to release her frustration and she did that by fighting with him..! Now he was gone? Was he really gone? She should stop him..! She run towards the main door and for the first time she opened it..! Cold wind and snowflakes slapped her face and she gasped..! She look here and there but he was nowhere..! His jeep was gone..! He was gone..!
"Kya kar diya myny..!"She whispered helplessly and burst out in tears again..!