Chapter 8: Not Even Death

Her pulse was slowing. He could feel it between his own palms. She was giving up. "No. Susan, hold on. Please baby." He whispered desperately, but she didn't seem to have heard his plea. Her skin was already pale, but it seemed to be growing paler still. Her breathing slowed with her heartbeat.

As her heart was slowing, his was tearing.

With everything left in her she gave his hand one last loving squeeze, and with everything in him he begged her to stay. Then her hand fell limp and he knew he had lost her.

He brought her lifeless hand to his face and let the tears roll over her cold fingers. He wanted to scream but the lump in his throat prevented it. He shook his head back and forth in disbelief mouthing the word 'no' over and over. Soon the word turned into a hoarse whisper then grew louder and louder until-

"NO!" Caspian exclaimed. He was breathing heavily and sweat was forming on his brow. He sat in bewilderment before flinging the blanket to the floor and rushing down the hall. He burst through the door and rushed to Susan's bed, pushing past the nurse in somewhat of a rude manner and fumbled around the covers until he felt Susan's hand. He gripped it tightly and when her pulse could be felt and was beating at a healthy pace he relaxed, letting out the breath he had been holding. "It was just a dream." He assured himself.

Susan fidgeted under the covers then opened her eyes and sighed contently, as if she had just woken up from a refreshing nap. She turned her head to face Caspian and smiled weakly.

The nurse reached in front of Caspian and place a hand on Susan's forehead. "The fever's broke." She announced with a warm smile.

"Oh thank Aslan!" Caspian breathed. "I just-" He glanced at the door from which he had burst just moments ago. "Nevermind." He said, shaking off the horrible nightmare.

"What?" Susan pressed.

He sighed and his face grew grave. "I just had a - a dream." He followed the dark lines in the wooden floor. Susan rubbed her thumb over the top of his hand as if telling him it was okay to continue. "I dreamt that the thing that means the most to me in this world was taken from me." He looked up at her and the look in his eyes told her that he was talking about her. Just the thought of the heart wrenching event sprung a fresh round of tears in his eyes. "It was like you just... gave up."

"I would never leave you like that." She promised in a whisper.

"I know." He smiled. He leaned towards her for a kiss but was stopped by a light rapping on the door. Caspian rose reluctantly from his seat and made his way to the door.

Behind the door, to his pleasant surprise, was the nurse who was cradling a little bundle in her arms. "Ch-Charlotte?" Was all he could manage to say.

"Yes." The nurse nodded eagerly. "Her health and strength have increased greatly in the past day." She then extended the baby towards him and he took her tenderly in his arms then crossed the room to the bed. Susan propped herself up against the stack of pillows. Caspian slid in next to her and handed her the baby. Susan gasped with delight at the first sight of her child.

"Oh Caspian she's beautiful!" Charlotte stirred and opened her eyes. "Oh look at her eyes! They're such a pretty blue!" Caspian stroked his daughter's soft cheek with his finger. She opened her mouth in a toothless smile.

"Wasn't this worth it?" He asked.

"Worth what?" Susan asked, somewhat distracted from the conversation by the cooing of little baby Charlotte.

"Oh all the worrying and the stress you went through."

"Of course." Susan said smiling down at Charlotte. She then turned her head to face Caspian. "I was just so scared though. I couldn't go through that again, and... and I couldn't make you go through it again." She lowered her eyes so they weren't locked with his.

Caspian sighed. "Susan, no matter what happens in our lives I will always love you. And you don't have to worry about me like that. Nothing, not even death, could ever come between us."

Susan smiled a teary smile. "I love you." She whispered. Caspian leaned in for the kiss he had been waiting for, but just before their lips met the door swung open and Eliana and James came bounding through.

"Can we see the new baby?" Eliana asked, pulling herself onto the bed. Caspian lifted James onto his lap.

"Of course."

Susan propped up her elbow so they could see the baby. "Eliana, James, meet your new baby sister: Charlotte Helen."