12

I screamed

I screamed. Dally froze in place, mouth slightly agape in shock. Slowly, blood began seeping through the fabric of his shirt. He looked down at it, fear written all over his face.

"Grace..."

The ring box toppled out of his hand before he slumped over.

"No!" I cried.

Another gunshot pierced the air, and then blackness...

"There they are!" A voice yelled.

It was echoey and muffled, almost like I was underwater.

"Oh god! That's a lot of blood!" The voice sobbed, "Somebody help!"

"Hang in there Grace. Help is coming soon," The voice said again.

It was Shelby. She grabbed my hand a squeezed it. My hearing was ringing and fading in and out.

"Please...don't..." Shelby cried.

In the distance, I could hear the wail of sirens. There were others now, but I couldn't tell who. All I could hear was my breathing, which was gradually growing slower, and my heartbeat.

This is it. This is how I die...

**

The ringing my ears was so loud I thought my head was going to explode. My head pounded. I could hear a steady beeping coming from beside me. Slowly, I opened my eyes, squinting at the bright fluorescent lights.

"Where am I?" I groaned, attempting to prop myself up on my elbows.

A sharp pain coursed from my abdomen like wildfire. I cried out in pain before falling onto my back. A nurse came running towards me.

"Careful, dear. Sitting up will only make it worse," She said.

I looked around at my surroundings, it now just occurring to me that I was in a hospital.

"What happened? How did I get here?" I asked, my voice raspy.

"You got shot, dear. You were rushed into emergency surgery. You lost a lot of blood. It's a miracle the ambulance got to you when it did. A little longer and I don't think you would've made it," The nurse said.

"Miss Thomas?" A voice said.

I looked up to see a doctor walking in the room, "Yes, that's me," I said.

"My name is Dr. Lee, I operated on you tonight. I just want to let you know that the bullet was successfully removed, and you should be fully healed in about three months," He explained.

I nodded.

"However, I do have some bad news,"

"What is it?" I asked cautiously, scared for what he was about to say.