seventeen

:: 17 ::

       Luke stood next to Michael with sweaty palms and fidgeting feet. In front of him were three of the thirteen people that Michael claimed to have been on the rugby team. Michael had a casual arm hooked around Luke's shoulders, a lazy but excited grin on his face as he stared at the fellow athletes.

"Luke, this is Ashton Irwin, Craig Owens, and Landon Tewers," Michael introduces, nodding toward the three. Luke smiled at them, still feeling a bit too down to have motivation to even be slightly polite to new people. "Luke here is part of my rugby operation."

At that, the blonde's eyes rolled. "You say 'operation,' like we're a secret agency."

"We are," Michael said blankly. "An agency of athletes." Craig laughed at him, but stopped when Landon rolled his eyes.

"I don't play sports," Luke informed with a shake of his head.

"You want to play baseball, right?"

"Well, yeah, but--"

"An agency of athletes."

Luke muttered to himself, ignoring Michael's obnoxious grin and turning to the three boys in front of him. "I'm Luke, you knew that already, but I wanted an excuse not to talk to him."

"You're the Hemmings' son, right?" Craig seemed to not be able to resist asking. Luke blinked.

"I'm Luke."

"And I'm Landon, please excuse him; he doesn't have much of a filter," the boy pushed Craig to the side, stepping forward.

Luke laughed while glancing over at Michael, "I don't even think Michael has a thought process."

"Look, Craig, we're watching our parents meet for the first time," Michael mumbled.

"But my dad is a police officer," Craig said dumbly. Luke began to wonder if he was the literal definition of the athletes stereotype; the really-cliché-movie-scene stereotype where they're dumb and clueless and say a lot of stupid things.

Landon turned toward the two and glared at Craig. "You know what the word hypothetical means, right?" Landon asked him, exasperated.

"Oh," Craig said.

"Anyway, time to talk about rugby," Michael piped. They all went to sit in two rows of the bleachers. "I already talked to Flan, she said she'd talk to the board."

"You call our principal Flan?"

Shaking his head to dismiss the comment, Michael asked, That was the only thing you got out of that?"

"Whatever, it doesn't matter," Landon interrupted. "Has she said anything yet?"

"No," the hockey player admitted, but seeing Landon huff, he was quick to reassure, "but I'll stop by the main office tomorrow to ask again." Landon was an intimidating guy, even if Michael would never admit it out loud. He was the biggest rugby player on the team and didn't hold back the dislike he had for anyone or anything. So, Michael intended to stay on his good side.

He's getting weak.

"You talk to coach?"