o n e

Mariana Sanders

"Excuse me, Sanders!" My lazy chemistry teacher screamed from across her desk. She takes a quick sip out of her white coffee mug; leaving a bright red lipstick blotch behind.

I look up from this long ass quiz she handed us in the beginning of class, with absolutely no warning. Everyone looking around at each other like lost puppies. She shouldn't be handing out a test if she never taught us the chapter.

"Principal Brooks needs to see you immediately." She waves her arm to the side, lifting her short legs up upon her desk; with a book resting in her right hand.

I nod my head, quickly getting up out of my chair and gathering all of my belongings. Everyone uncomfortably stares at me as I finally exit the depressing classroom.

I guess you could say I'm considered as one of the outcast. I don't have many friends, besides my best friend Astrid who I've known since the beginning of time, but we'll get to that later on.

My father died when I was very young, he was my heart and soul. Adam, my brother, was not quite as close with him.

"How can I help you, dear?" One of the secretarys stop me.

"I'm here to speak with Mr. Brooks." I politely ask. She points down the odd hallway, explaining each twist an turn.

"Thank you, ma'am!" I smile, walking away.

Who knew the office would be so big. I'm not used to coming in here. I don't get into trouble or anything of that manner. Unless stealing a tampon from the nurses office without paying 50 cents, pure savagery.

Two teachers stand in front of his office, holding large cups of coffee in both hands. They were most likely comparing test scores or talking about what their kids were going to be for Halloween.

They finally acknowledged my presence. Everyone of them turns around, glaring until they figured I had enough.

"Mr. Brooks?" I ask, walking right past them.

Hasn't your mother taught you it isn't polite to stare, honey.

Shut up.

"You are?" he confusingly asks.

"Sanders, Mariana Sanders." I shrug, mentally rolling my eyes. He should know who I am, I mean he just called me down from the chemistry lab for Christ sakes.

"Oh, yes of course!" He moves his hand in his direction, motioning for me to sit down in any of the opened chairs.

The other staff members left, closing the door to leave us in private.

"I have been told by many that you're one of our best students here." He compliments me. I confidently nod.

I mean he's right, not to sound conceited but I have one of the highest gpa in my class.

"We have a new student here, a new fish in the sea," He snorts at his own poor joke. I squeeze my lips, tapping my fingers on his desk.

He awkwardly coughs, fixing his posture and tye.

"Look, if you need to say something just say it. I have a quiz to take, well, had a quiz."

"We have a new student, his name is Grayson Dolan." He pauses for a quick moment, as if he was trying to figure out how to put his words together without sounding overwhelming.

"Grayson has moved from at least five schools in the past year and a half. Well, kicked out of most of them." He chuckles, intertwining his fingers together.

"Five?" I repeat.

"Okay, maybe not five. I tend to over dramatize when I'm nervous." No kidding.

"His parents have tried everything to get him back into the system. This school is his only hope for another chance."

I now understand where he's going with this. He wants me to show this kid around, stay with him throughout his classes. Almost like a babysitter, except he's a grown kid in high school.

"He needs somebody to lean on, some structure. I know it may not be exactly you, but at least for now, get him started."

"You don't need to speak in order for me to tell you're frustrated. Just by looking at you, I can already tell you want nothing to do with this."

"Every other student that I've offered had the same response as you." His lips turn into an uneven side grin, typing something into his computer.

I feel bad for the poor kid. He's already getting reject and hasn't stepped foot in this school.

Maybe I should take the offer. I know that if I was new in a school like this, I'd want somebody to lean on. Then again, I'm very antisocial, I'm not so sure about that.

"Okay," I blurt out.

"Okay?" He repeats. 

"Okay!" I repeat again, this time with a slight giggle.

"You'll take the offer?" He says, almost as if he's about to fly out of his chair and crush me in his arms.

"When will he be coming." My voice is blunt. He puts his finger to his lips, shuffling through random files that sat upon his desk.

Maybe we will develop a close friendship.

Maybe we will end up getting married.

Who am I kidding. He's probably going to be another cliche. Another guy just like the rest.

"He will be arriving tomorrow morning, be in my office before first period."

I tried making the ending dramatic, I failed.

I am editing a lot of these chapters incase you haven't heard. I'm sorry that I have been lacking with my updates.

Let your imagination run wild with the main character, it could be you, your grandma, your dog. God I'm not funny.

Thank you, peace out for now.