Skittering Skate Date

At seven, I slid on my heavy winter parka, not quite sure if I would need it, but better safe than sorry. "Lace! Are you ready?"

Answering me from behind the closed bathroom door, she called back, "Well, I would be ready a lot faster if you told me where we are actually going!"

I chuckled, rapping my knuckles lightly against the door, "Just come out and I'll tell you if you're ready to skate."

"Skate??" She threw the door open, slamming it against the wall and I cringed.

"Damn. I hadn't meant to give it away.." I blushed sheepishly, but nodded in return. "Yeah, I'm taking you skating. The rink said it wouldn't be too packed today because it's Christmas and usually families are together today. So, I thought a nice skating date would be appropriate."

"Awww! You're such a sap!" She giggled and then spun around on her heel, letting me get a look at her outfit.

"Good. Great, actually," I grinned and pressed a chaste kiss to her lips before nodding and pulling back, "Are you ready to go, babe?"

Lacey grinned and nodded, "Let's go."

The ride to the skating rink, accurately named Blades of Glory after the movie, was simple and didn't take much longer than fifteen minutes. All the while, Lacey quizzed me on when I had set this all up; especially since not too long before Christmas we hadn't even been speaking.

"Well, when did you even get this all finalized? Since you obviously talked about the amount of people that would be there, it couldn't have been too long ago."

Keeping my eyes trained on the slick-with-slush roads, I shrugged, "A couple days ago. Maybe a week or two."

"You had no clue if I could even skate or not. Why would you chose to go skating with me? I might not even be able to do it," Lacey countered my admission, seeming to grow testy at how relaxed with it all I was.

"Doesn't really matter if you can't skate, babe," I glanced over at her when I reached a red light only about a mile from the rink we were going to, "All that means is that I get to teach you how to do it. Which, in my opinion at least, will be completely adorable."

Lacey laughed and shook her head, "Oh my gosh, you think I'm going to fall around on the ice like Bambi when she first tries to walk, don't you?"

Blushing a bit, I shrugged, "Maybe. Still, even if you aren't, you get to hold on to me and that's pretty amazing to me."

A small smirk lit up her features, "What if I drag you down with me?"

Yet again, I shrugged, "Still wouldn't bother me in the least. We would be going down together, and anywhere with you is where I wanna be."

Fake gagging, Lacey leaned forward in the seat and giggled, "You are literally so lovey dovey that I may puke just from hearing it."

I laughed heartily as I pulled into a parking spot near the front of the building, the whole lot completely devoid of any cars, "Looks like it really is just us tonight, huh, Lace?"

She grinned as she got out, adjusting the woolen scarf that she wore around her neck, "Seems like it?"

Winding an arm around her waist, I led her inside and paid for our hand stamps and shoes. Finding our sizes was especially easy since no one else was in the rink, and I helped lace up Lacey's and tie my own before we staggered towards the ice.

"This will be fun..." I uttered, having begun to wonder if this was the smartest of ideas.

Somehow, Lacey had heard me and she grinned, "Oh come on, sourpuss. It'll be fun, I promise."