Little White Lies

~Maddie~

Oh crap. Maddie thought as she sat at her dining room table. Her mother at the other end of the wooden slab, still wearing her night robe because it was 10:00 at night. Her mother had gotten an anonymous letter that told every single illegal or morally incompetent thing Maddie, Kendall, and Kalani had ever done. All of it was approximately 26 pages long. Underage drinking, theft, assault, breaking and entering, etc...
The middle aged woman was reading it allowed to her, in front of Maddie's very angry step father, Greg. The woman had finally finished the letter saying, "Sincerely, Your angel." The chestnut haired girl scoffed at that last part. Who's angel was this person playing? Then a pissed off Melissa seethed, "What the fuck can you say to explain yourself girl?" Maddie hardly winced at her mothers tone. She had thick skin. Maddie laughed, "Mother, you should be ashamed that you didn't know sooner." Her mother looked baffled. The girl went on, "I have been doing these things since sixth grade. Almost seven years. And now you find out from an anonymous source who call them self  your angel? And to answer your question there isn't really anything to explain. It was all written their, in your letter."
She knew she had to save her friends, so Maddie went on to say, "As for all that illegal stuff, we did none of it." Melissa rolled her eyes and Gregg practically seethed with anger.
Maddie held back the urge she felt to punch them both in the face and tried to act nonchalant. "Don't you think if I was getting drunk and going to parties all night you two would have noticed." Both adults kept silent, contemplating what the young girl had just said. "Don't you think if I was breaking into houses and ruining lives you would at least have some suspicion to what I was doing."
Maddie stared down her two parents until finally her mother said, "Oh Maddie. Yes I would have noticed!" She ran over and hugged her. Maddie turned on the fake tears and choked out, "I can't believe you thought I would do those awful things." Melissa squeezed tighter and muttered into Maddie's ear, "But you are grounded for a month for  those mean things you have done to your peers." Maddie choked on a fake sob and said, "I know and I don't know why I did them! I'm so sorry mommy." Melissa than said, "You are excused. Get some rest, tomorrow you get to sleep in."
Indeed she did. It was a Saturday tomorrow and Maddie planned on spending it with her two best friends, even if she was grounded. She walked up the white carpeted stairs to find her younger sister, Mackenzie, sitting on the top step eavesdropping.
The young girls was wearing blue and white polka dot pajamas and her hair was in a messy pony tail. Mackenzie fake applauded and said, "You should get an Oscar for that performance."  Maddie smirked. Mackenzie knew some of the things she had done, but the two sisters were still close. The 16 year old was one of the only people she could really talk to.
Maddie exclaimed, "Oh I know! But you still love me!" Mackenzie smiled and stood up to hug her. Maddie hugged back, and for one moment, let herself be the sweet girl she used to be.
Then the littler girl pulled back and asked, "Wanna watch a movie in my room?" The older sister shrugged, "Sounds delightful!'" They were both waltzing down the hall when Maddie heard it. The sound she had been dreading for 6 years.
Police sirens.
Then the doorbell. Then her mother answering. Finally, a young male officer saying, "We would like to speak to Maddie Ziegler."
Maddie's body went livid.