Presentiment

It was a cold and crisp morning. The birds would start singing any minute now, and the rest of the tribe was going to wake up. This was the only time I could be alone. I left my tent and walked to the cliff which I did every morning, as it was the highest point on our territory. I would always rise early and watch as the Great Spirit lifted the sun over the horizon, were it would start its day long journey from east to wast. I sent a prayer of gratitude to the Great Spirit, to thank him for yet another magnificent morning.

I went to the lake nearby to wash myself. The water was cool and refreshing; it washed away the sleep from my eyes and woke me up completely. I bathed myself quickly and ranback, as a way to get the warmth back to my freezing limbs. People had started to come out of the tents now. The women had already lit a fire, and were preparing breakfast. It was heavenly, as always. They had roasted some meat over the flames and made oatmeal from handpicked grain, you could also get some bread if the oatmeal wasn’t to your taste. The men were preparing as well, but to something a little different. They were going out for a hunt today. Every week the men went out to provide for the tribe. It was their duty as men. I myself don’t understand why women can’t do the same, but traditions are traditions.

 I stood and watched the preparations for a while, but I had my own work to do. The men often came back with injuries from the hunt, and as the medicine woman of the tribe, it was my duty to heal them.

I went to my tent and got the equipment I would need. I took some of the dried herbs I had dried and stored this summer and crushed them intoa powder. When the time came I would blend some water into the powder, until it had smooth consistence. I would then use it to stop bleedings; as it helped coagulate blood.

The men finally left and all the women agreed on one thing, it was bliss. In these times when all the men were away, the women would do as they pleased. Some danced to their hearts content, some sang, and some went for a swim. I just lay in the sun, absorbing the warm rays. Children ran around, playing and having fun. Our tribe was a peaceful one. We lived in harmony with nature, thanking and respecting the Great Spirit for all our food and shelter. I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew the sky was grey and I heard screams in the distance.  They were horrible, they were wordless but it was impossible not to understand the prayers for help. I ran to them and was met by a sight so terrifying, even my worst nightmares couldn’t compare. Demons with white faces and strange clothes, but the most terrifying thing was the light that shone from their eyes as they laughed at the people in pain. The skis rumbled ominously.

I woke up with a scream. My heart raced, almost beating out of my chest. I was still groggy, and my head hurt from the nightmare. I stood up and walked down to the others. They had started to make dinner. Some meat was roasting in the fire, as was some vegetables. My stomach grumbled at the smell from the fire.

I started to walk around the camp. My eyes wandered, looking for something that could take my mind off the dream. The forest was dark and looming. A monstrous sight met me. I screamed.

         The demons were here.       

-----------------------------------------------

So here is another story for you ;)