Chapter One

Lily's Pov.

Lights flicker around the city. Cars whine through the run-down roads. I sit there on the rooftop of the Empire Stare Building. Or what's left of it. The year is 2749 and the world has been beaten to a pulp of nothing. New York, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Sacramento are lost. Now it's called the BDC (Broken Down Colonies).

Jack arrives to my left holding a picnic basket. A smile tries to crawl its way onto my lips, while my unusual orange hair blows into my face. I slowly turn to him, still staring at the city. His oil black tousled hair blows roughly through the strong winds. His unique leaf green eyes shimmer with amusement, while my hazel eyes shine with sorrow and pain.

Although the little features in my eyes show no sign of happiness, Jack lets out a chuckle, knowing the unformed smile will be shining soon. I face him staring at his features, examining then for the fourth time today. Almost invisible freckles lay right above his nose and his eyes again plainly showing flirtation dancing across them. I smile slightly, my heart fluttering like a butterfly.

Jack Stetson is practically a brother to me. Well, I wish were more than that. If you know what I mean...

I lean forward closing my eyes slowly, as he does the same. Quickly, I snatch the basket from beside him and pull away. He opens his eyes, only to find me halfway through a PB sandwich.

I lick my fingers and chomp of another piece of the bread. "Sup." I say, but comes out more like, "Wup."

He laughs, trying to steal the sandwich from me. I dart away just as he tumbles over where I was a second ago. We stand up examining to see any hints of what the other is going to do.

Suddenly, Jack jumps forward and I lean over the edge of the roof. He stares at me in wonder as I extend my arms and let myself fall over.

In midair, I twist myself forward, while taking another bite of the sandwich. I drop it and aim for a rusted pipe. This better work. Right on time, I grip the pipe and swing myself over, taking it with me. Whoopsie! I let go and plummet downward into an office.

I kick right through the glass and roll onto my feet. I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and stare down whoever comes through. Jack emerges panting and brushing off sweat dripping from his hair.

"Don't you ever do that again Lily! You scared me half to death!"

"Hey! If I scared you half to death again, would you die?" I exclaim, with a dumbfounded look on my face. Unfortunately, he sees right through my lie.

"Don't you dare try to change the subj-" Jack bursts into laughs. I giggle madly along with him. Regaining his composure he musters,"Who am I kidding? That was AWESOME!!"

I nod excitedly and plop down into the nearest chair. It swivels me around, as I pick up my knees, hoping for it to keep spinning.

"Don't act so childish. Give me a turn!" Jack rushes right into the chair I was seconds ago on. We laugh until the sun goes down and the moon rises.

I lay down my sleeping bag against Jack's and snuggle inside. Instead of lying down next to me, he walks toward the stairs.

"Jack? Where are you going?" Immediately, he stops in his tracks. "O! Ummm... I'm going to get thissss," Jack searches frantically for an object near him. "...thissss water bottle."

I raise an eyebrow, but keep silent. I shake it off and close my eyes as Jack falls beside me. Memories flash inside my mind, as I try to fall asleep.

"Mommy! Help me! PLEASE!" my little brother stands helplessly in the fire as it overtakes his body.

In another: A woman stands next to a river, looking coldly at it. If looks could kill, she'd be a murderer. I walk towards her and put a hand on her shoulder. She faces me and crumbles to the floor, lifeless. She has already been dead for a days. 'Mother'. The only thought that crosses my mind.

I awake sweating, holding my pillow in fear. A groan escapes it. I exchange my gaze toward my 'pillow' and it transforms into a head with midnight black hair. I let out a small gasp and remain still.

Jack repositions himself and falls back asleep. I sigh in relief because nobody wants to deal with an angry Jack. I tiptoe toward the stairway and climb up to the bottom level. Nellie snores away her fears at the bottom of the staircase. Shoot!

I jump lightly over her, just as she rolls around. I curse in my mind and continue silently outside.

Moonlight shimmers over a small pond in the distance. I let out a sad smile. Suddenly something moist flows down my cheek. I raise my hand, to find a tear. I run towards a nearby building, keeping my head low.

I clamber up to the roof and lay on my back. A sob escapes my lips, first to many. Sniffles, tears, and sobs are the only things in the air this late at night. Slowly, I cry myself to sleep, acknowledging something. Martin (my brother) is still alive...