~3~

(TK Chinn, as of July 15 2017)

The school bell rang with a droning, piercing wail, that didn't help my raging headache.

"Is it your head again?" TK asked me, as we stood up from our desks.

"Yep." I told him.

My headaches arose whenever something bad was about to happen, though I didn't know when, or how. They weren't migraines, no doctor could explain them. My mom said I was like Barry Potter, and his scar on his forehead, that throbbed whenever evil was around.

"So, are you going to the football game today?" He asked, grabbing his books.

"Nah, I got better things to do."

"Same. I'll see you tomorrow."

"See ya." I said, waving him off.

***

"I'll put one foot, in front of the other one... I don't need a new love, or a new life... just a better place to die!"

I was listening to my Mpod, as I tightened the coil on my catapult, that sat in the (probably taller than nine feet) Tech Ed room. I slowly twisted the new thick iron spring with a pair of pliers from Mr. Baker's tool closet. I saw Mr. Baker walking up to me, as I took out my ear buds.

"Still working?" He asked.

"Well... I spent 2 months planning to build this thing, and another month setting up the shell for today, just to find out it's got a faulty coil just now."

I stepped over to the massive wood pile with a sign that read, "FREE WOOD" on it, and took a large log. The pile was nearing empty.

"Wasn't this pile to the ceiling at the beginning of the year?" Mr. Baker asked.

"Yep."

"How much of this do you use?!"

"Ummmm..." I said.

"Jack!" Someone shouted.

I looked over at the doorway. Henry Smith, stood impatiently, looking nervous. He pulled his glasses off his face, and brushed away his sandy blonde hair. He wasn't wearing his trademark blue jacket, only a black "SKILLET" shirt, like one I had at home.

"Isn't that Henry, your brother?" Mr. Baker asked.

"No, I'm not." Henry groaned. We've been through this before. "Smith is a very common last name."

"What's up?"

"Do you not see the time?" He said, staring at his watch,

I looked at my own, and jumped.

"Crap!" I said, running towards my backpack. "Marvelous. I have to stop by my locker. We won't make it! Just go without me."

Henry nodded, and ran off.

"What's wrong?" Mr. Baker asked.

"Every time there's a football game, we leave 5 minutes early to escape the mob that hurtles back into the school... and there's only 3 minutes left! Bye Mr. Baker!" I said, as I dashed out the door, not waiting for a response.

I ran down the hallway as fast as I could, Henry no longer in sight. I had to make it! I climbed up the stairs, and darted to my locker. Just as I put my hand on the lock, I heard it. The screaming, and the pounding of hundreds of kids running up the stairs. I shook my head, and continued to fumble with my lock. With a great outcry, the massive horde of people burst up the stairs, and flooded down the hallway. Within seconds, the hall was overfilled with fast moving teenagers. I felt a hand on my back, and I was shoved up against the lockers, my lock jabbing me in the ribs. Someone kicked my legs out from under me, and I fell on the ground, instantly, some kid stepping on my hand.

"SUCK IT, YOU JACKA**!" The unmistakable voice of James Monroe, yelled, as he ran down the hall, Kyle at his side.

I sat on the floor for a second, dumbfounded.

"You alright?" asked a quiet voice.

I looked up, and saw another one of my friends, Miranda Cleary. She had long brown hair, and devastating grey eyes, that made you want to crawl under a bench and hide. She was nice enough, if she was in a good mood, you just didn't want to get her mad.

"Yeah, I'm good." I told her, looking up.

She was wearing jean leggings, and a Jefferson High Football Jersey, with a number 5 on the front. Who's it was, I had no idea.

"Whatcha doing on the floor then?"

"Having a party with the cockroaches. If I'm lucky, the rats will come, with their virus friends!" I said, with mock excitement.

She laughed, and pulled me up.

"Thanks." I told her, grinning.

"No problem."

"I'll see you on Monday."

"You too." She said, running off into the mob of people, still rushing by.

I got back up, finally got my lock off, remembered that the thing I needed was already in my backpack, and shut it.

Why did I come back then? I thought to myself, oh well. Everything had a purpose didn't it?