A Time of Consternation

To look at her, Ambrosia seemed like a perfectly sweet and affable pony, like any other pony you might meet. She was a pale green colour, like that of a grassy field in high summer, and she had a short-ish, yet full mane of the deepest blue that fell gracefully about her long, slender neck. She had a kindly, if slightly distant-looking face, her large grey eyes only half-open, as if only half-seeing the world around her. She was special, like most ponies, but at the same time, unremarkable.

That all changed one day, however, when she was seen with a bright, clear Cutie Mark on her flank. It was generally known that earning your Cutie Mark was a turning point in a little pony's life, when the young pony discovers their raison d'être. Usually, this is a time for celebration, but on this occasion, it was a time of consternation.

Pinkie Pie walked through Ponyville's main square, humming a little tune as she trotted along. Glancing over, she spotted Ambrosia at an outdoor café, nudging some food morosely around her plate. Curious, and ever-eager to speak to someone, Pinkie Pie went over to her table.

"HEY, AMBER!" she called, keenly. Ambrosia looked up into Pinkie Pie's broadly grinning face, with a genial, if slightly forced, smile.

"And hello to you, Pinkie Pie," she greeted, "I did tell you my name was 'Ambrosia', didn't I?"

Pinkie giggled in reply.

"Okay, Ambro-ZHIAAAAH," she said, her mouth hanging open exaggeratedly on the last sound. "How are you? From a distance, you look pretty down in the dumps. Is something the matter?"

"Oh, no, I'm well," answered Ambrosia, "though I did get my Cutie Mark last night."

"OOH! Really?" she squealed excitedly. "Lemme see, lemme see! I need to know what to put on the banner for the party!"

Obligingly, Ambrosia stood from her seat at the table and turned, showing her flank to Pinkie Pie. As she looked at it, the grin on her face eventually faded into a confused frown.

"It's... really interesting," she said, apologetically, "but what is it?"

"It's a bunch of squares and circles, I think," answered Ambrosia, also staring at her new mark.

"Ooh! I think I know what it is!" she announced excitedly. Ambrosia looked expectantly at her, and Pinkie Pie straightened up and held her head high, like she was about to make an epic proclamation.

"It looks like confetti!" she said dramatically. "That must mean you like parties; it's like my three balloons!"

"Parties?" asked Ambrosia, feeling a bit thrown. Pinkie looked at Ambrosia's Cutie Mark again, her perky grin now returned, and her demeanour suddenly much more animated.

"It's so exciting to find this out, Ambrosia! I remember when you first came here from Fillydelphia, you were a bit of an odd pony. Sweet, don't get me wrong, but a bit strange. It must be why your Cutie Mark was so long in coming; it took a while to know just what it was supposed to be!"

"My daddy always told me it was buried deep," Ambrosia said, "like the most beautiful gem in all the world. Something that hard to find, he said it would be like nothing else when I finally found it."

"Your daddy sounds so smart," complimented Pinkie Pie, "you'll have to tell him about this as soon as you can! Party confetti! What a wonderful Mark!"

"Um, I'm going to have to stop you there, Pinkie Pie," said Ambrosia, hesitant to dampen her spirits, "but I don't really go to that many parties... and since when is confetti white?"

"Oh... yeah," Pinkie Pie said, somewhat embarrassed. Ambrosia's Cutie Mark was, indeed, a pure, bright white colour, against her soft green fur.

"Maybe it's rice, like at a wedding!" said Pinkie Pie, once she regained her enthusiasm. "Maybe you'll be a wonderful wedding planner!"