What Are You So Scared Of?

I awoke with a start as my lungs screamed out for air. It was a dream, it was just a dream! My cheeks were stained with tears to match my pillow that lay beside me. I hugged my knees to my chest, rocking myself back and forth as my chest rose and fell at an alarming rate. I'd been having nightmares a lot. Ever since the incident. I just couldn't shake the feelings, the images, the emptiness.

"Alex? Shit!" I heard the familiar voice shout as they tripped, running to my aid.

I felt the person sit beside me and pull me into their chest as I wept.

"Shhh, it's okay. No ones gonna hurt you. I'm right here." His voice whispered into my ear as they kissed the top of my head.

"But he's gone. I'll never see him again!" I wept harder into their chest.

Their arms wrapped around me as the moved us to lie down in my bed. We lay like that until I'd calmed down a bit, leaving me softly sniffling as I clung to their now tear stained t-shirt.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked, softly brushing my hair out my face.

I looked up into his chocolate brown eyes that soften at the sight of me all torn up.

"I lost you, Jack. I lost you just like everyone else in my life. You died in front of me and there was nothing I could do to stop it!" I wept as Jack pulled me in closer, laying his head on top of mine.

"I'm right here, 'lex. I ain't going anywhere." He spoke softly.

I nodded my head sitting up as I bit the inside of my cheek.

Jack slowly sat up beside me, staring at me as I looked down at my hands in my lap.

"Is there something else you want to tell me?" He asked looking worried.

I looked up at him, meeting his eyes. Damn how I loved those eyes. I thought about telling him how I felt. Did I really want to get rejected by my best friend? I sighed biting my lip.

"Jack I-I" I'm stuttered as Jack looked at me confused.

Jack grabbed ahold of my hand in his. "What's wrong, Alex? You can tell me anything, you know that right?"

I looked at him with worry in my eyes. Tell him! You never know when you could lose him! my thoughts were shouting at me. I sighed. Might as well start what I finished.

"Jack I ... I really like you. I like you, more than just a friend. I want to kiss you and hold and ... And I'm sorry if you don't feel the same but. I think I'm falling for you..."

Jack looked at me in shock before his face went blank of all emotion.

I gulped. "Jack? Say something ... Please?!"

Jack looked at me with the same blank expression. He opened his mouth.

"Alex..."

~*~*~*~ THE END! ~*~*~*~