Changes in the Plan

He went on about himself as we drove, but probably thinking he was this close to getting lucky, talked about me more often than he had been, letting me know what a stunner I was, trying to butter me up. I answered him occasionally, but let him do most of the talking. He only stopped talking when he happened to notice we were on a deserted dirt road and ask where in the hell we were.

This was far enough, I figured; time to drop the act. I stopped the truck. Again, he asked where we were. I didn't answer. Eventually, he got out of the car and walked around, looking frustrated. I reached under my seat.

He walked around the moonlit prairie, his hands on his hips, loudly wondering what he was doing out there. He turned around to ask me if I was just one of those chicks that likes doing it outside, when he was stopped short by the sight of me pointing a gun at him.

The moment hung still and silent between us, him staring at me, me and the gun staring at him. Eventually, he asked me what the hell I was doing.

I told him that Mama said he was a bad man. She had told me all about you, I said, about what you do to those girls. Mama said to me that whatever he did to those girls, was not something a good person does, I told him.

He smiled then, and asked if my mama was Lynette, that "crazy old bitch" on the assembly line? She didn't know anything, he told me; she only saw him on the factory floor, and came up with the rest herself. Even if he did do what she thought, he didn't force those girls to like him; they were just drawn to him, so anything that happened was their own fault. He wasn't denying it, of course; just telling me it wasn't a problem.

He walked closer to me, but I cocked the gun's hammer as he came closer, and he backed off. He chuckled after he backed off, though, telling me I was far too nice a girl to pull the trigger. The bastard; he was trying to charm me out of it. This was just a little ripple in his plan; he still thought he had things under control. He could just dazzle his way out of this, like he's dazzled his way out of everything else.

I wasn't sure how much I should tell Mama about when she notices he's gone, and no one seemed to know where he was. Maybe she'd think he finally got sick of it here and moved to the tar sands. All in all, though, this wasn't the sort of guy who anyone would wonder where he had gone for very long.