Scene Five

Jennet pulled off the sim helmet and shook her head. She felt disoriented and muzzy, as if she’d fallen asleep in the hot sun and cooked her brains. That last fight had not gone well. Good thing the game suddenly glitched out.

She slid her hands from the gloves and stood up. Her shoulder ached—stung, really. Rubbing it, she powered down the FullD system, then checked it over to make sure she’d left no sign of her illicit gaming. Everything looked just the way Dad had left it.

She glanced at the clock and sucked in a breath. It was later than she’d thought. Dad would be home for dinner any minute. Hastily, she left the gaming room, turning the lights off behind her.

Just in time—the front door chimed open and she heard her dad come in, talking to somebody. Had he invited Thomas over?

Sure enough, her father’s friend, Thomas Rimer, had joined him after work. Thomas was like an uncle to her. Though she didn’t see enough of him, since Dad had gotten him a job with VirtuMax as a lead game designer.

Smiling, she went to the stairs and hung over the railing above the entryway.

“Hey there, Jennet,” Thomas said, waving. “Come down. I brought you something.”

“You’re going to spoil her,” Jennet’s dad said, but his voice was mild.

She hurried down the stairs, and Thomas handed her the flat package he’d had tucked under his arm.

“What is it?” She lifted it, guessing it was a book. Thomas collected rare old print volumes, though her dad teased him about hoarding dead trees.

“Come, sit,” her dad said, playing host.

He shepherded them into the living room, then keyed an order into the house computer; tea for her, wine for Thomas and himself. Their place was old—most of Jennet’s friends had voice-activated house networks—but they’d lived in the house for over ten years. Dad bought it after… she swallowed. After her mother took off. She preferred not to remember anything about that time.

No, this was their home, the only one she and Dad needed. Just the two of them. Old tech or not, she liked it that way.

Jennet sat on the soft couch, avoiding the one cushion that pulled people in like a black hole, and carefully peeled back the plain brown paper enclosing her present. As she’d guessed, it was a book—an old one, from the dusty, comforting smell emanating from the pages.

It was bound in green leather, the title worked in raised gold lettering: Tales of Folk and Faerie. Jennet ran her fingers over the words, the letters cool to her touch.

“Another old book?” There was a smile in her dad’s voice. “Jennet has a top-end tablet, you know. Nobody reads those old, musty things any more.”

“This book is only available in print,” Thomas said. “It’s special. Go ahead, open it.”

She lifted the cover, and caught her breath at the illustration on the opening page.

Moon-pale mushrooms encircled in a dusky glade, with dark pines rising behind. Within the circle, small figures danced, winged and shining. The colors were rich and mysterious, and she could almost smell the resin of pine and cedar drifting from the page. The picture was titled Midsummer Pixies.

Fingers trembling, she turned the pages, titles of songs and stories flashing before her eyes: The Elfin Knight, Childe Rolande, The Nixie.

Most of the drawing were in black and white. Gnarled figures perched in tree branches, lovely women who called men to their deaths in deep water, winged sprites darting through a clearing. And the Black Knight. Jennet’s stomach clenched as she stared at the picture of the knight. Her shoulder ached, and she hastily turned the page.

Next was a full-color illustration of a beautiful fey woman. Her face was delicate, her eyes deep and compelling. Her dress was woven of shadows and night. Pointed ears were just visible through her midnight-dark hair, gems tangled like stars in its silky blackness.

Her expression held a certain cruelty; something sharp in the tilt of her lips, her long-nailed fingers.

The Faerie Queen.

Shivering, Jennet closed the book.

“What do you think?” Thomas asked.

“I… it’s amazing. Thank you.”

“Keep it safe,” he said. His smile was weary at the corners. “It’s very valuable.”

She hugged the book to her chest, her mind whirring. Pieces clicked into place like clockwork. Thomas: hired on to develop a top-secret game project for VirtuMax. Feyland: the game her dad was project manager for. And this book, full of ancient faerie lore that clearly was the inspiration for the world she had just been in.

Yet she couldn’t say anything. She knew, with a bone-deep certainty, that Dad would forbid her to play Feyland again if she confessed she’d snuck on to the system. He would change his passwords, locking her out of that vividly magical world.

After dinner, she excused herself. Claiming she had too much homework, she went up to her room and pored over the book, absorbing every bit of information. Fynnoderee was a brownie from Manx lore. The Pixies were mischievous creatures, but not malicious. She found no mention of the Black Knight, though a dim memory of some ancient ballad hovered at the back of her mind.

Jennet read a short fable of a girl who entered an enchanted faerie ring on Midsummer’s Eve, and found herself transported to the Realm of Faerie. She had feasted and danced—and when she returned to the real world the next morning, seventy human years had passed, and everyone she loved was dead.

It was brilliant, how Thomas had woven faerie lore into the game interface, and how VirtuMax brought it to virtual life. In a way, using the sim equipment was like stepping through a magical portal into another world.

Anticipation burned in her blood. Tomorrow, as soon as she got home from school, she’d return to Feyland and see what new adventures awaited.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this section, feel free to vote for it.  :)

FEYLAND: The First Adventure is a prequel to the FEYLAND series. The complete short story is FREE in e-book format at all online retailers! Book 1 of the trilogy, The Dark Realm, is here on Wattpad - but it and the other two books are available in print and *very affordable* e-book versions worldwide at most online retailers. (Amazon, Apple, B&N, Kobo, Smashwords, Book Depository). Thanks for supporting an indie author!