25 | Tranquility in Karuizawa

kRISTEN OH MY GOD. I still remember when we were writer fetuses on Quizilla and our photo editing skills weren't exactly the best but we still made banners anyways (bANNERS. OMG, THE ERA OF STORY BANNERS). good times good times. I hope you're doing well m'dear. 

— Chapter 25 

Tranquility in Karuizawa

Mom rummaged through my suitcase at least five times, just like she's always done whenever I'd be going on a trip without her. In the past, I've always insisted that I was completely fine; that I've already triple-checked my luggage beforehand. She never really listened to me, of course, so I decided to merely stand by quietly this time around.

My phone began to vibrate in my pocket. "I'll be outside," I said quickly.

Once I was out on the balcony, I flipped my phone open in such a way that the Totoro charm swung and made a clicking noise. I held it to the side of my face. "Haruhi?" I asked, leaning on the railing. "Ready for Karuizawa?"

"Fresh air and peace and quiet? Of course," she sighed happily.

"Right," I smiled, already envisioning the tranquil countryside and the quaint architecture. "Just need to wait for Mom to finish triple-checking my luggage," I laughed.

Haruhi yawned. "Oh right, I already went through that whole process with my dad this morning. He kept trying to sneak a few dresses into my bags. Sheesh, it's not like I'm going to Karuizawa to be fancy."

I shrugged and peeked through the window to see that the clothes in my suitcase weren't smoothed out any longer. "Better to have a hundred thorough checks than forget something important, I guess."

The summer had been rather eventful. From the opportunity of a lifetime for an internship at Yuzuha Hitachiin's design studio to Kyouya's almost-marriage to a university student in Spain, I was looking forward to spending an entire month enjoying the tranquility of the countryside with Haruhi. Without a doubt (and regardless of whether or not it was my preference), the other hosts were practically my second family, but a break from them once in awhile wouldn't do the two of us any harm.

After saying my momentary goodbyes to Haruhi and flipping my phone shut again, I went back inside to zip my suitcase and to check over everything in my other smaller bags again just to reassure both myself and my mother. I tried to pack lightly, seeing as toiletries and extra clothing were things that Misuzu-chi had already prepared for us there at the inn. It wasn't like Haruhi wouldn't be willing to share a towel or some soap if necessary, anyways.

It took my mother quite a while to say goodbye to me. As expected, she smothered me with tight embraces and kisses on my cheeks as if I were still the tiny six-year-old that was anxious to begin my first day in grade school. Haruhi giggled, as she did each time Mom insisted on showing such affection. It was understandable in this case; I guess it hardly seemed fair to her that I'd practically spent the majority of the summer away from home.

"Have fun, and take pictures of the scenery, okay, dear?" she smiled. "Call every day just to check in."

I smiled. "I will, I will."

With a few last kisses on the cheek and a smile and a wave, Haruhi and I were off to the station.

"What do you think we should do in Karuizawa, Hiroshi?"