CHAPTER 1

COPY RIGHT:  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED                                       

Chapter one

Natasha gazed up at the warm sun, wrinkling her freckled nose, as she reluctantly hauled herself out of the cool refreshing water. She purred like a content cat, loving this time of the day, when the sun was at its highest, and she sought solace at her secret hideout. Towelling herself, she eyed the juicy red apple she wanted to sink her teeth into after her robust endeavour in the cool water.  Hurriedly she slipped on her flannel shift, drawers and skirt.  Not that anybody would ever see her.  She’d been coming to the lake every day for past six months, having spotted it by accident one afternoon, after another heated argument with her step mother. Natasha tied her still wet unruly red locks with a ribbon, and sunk onto the shawl she’d earlier laid across the grass. She stretched out, resting her head on her arm, lapping up the afternoon sun, as she munched on her delicious apple.  She sighed knowing very soon she had to head back home and help Cook prepare the evening meal. At least she would have some peace for a few hours.  Her step mother was playing bridge and would not be back for a while still. How Natasha wished she could own her own property just like this one, well not as big as this.

Lord Brinley’s estate covered about twenty acres of land, with a beautiful stone house and many, many bedrooms.  She could not tell exactly how many rooms his lavish home had, as she’d never been inside. She would be content with about a quarter of one acre, just for herself and Benjamin.  But she had no money of her own, save the allowance her father gave her every week, which she used to purchase her personal effects, clothing and anything her step mother could not afford to buy for Ben. She wished for the hundredth time she could be employed somewhere, but with no qualifications and training she was compelled to live at home with her father and step mother, help with household chores, and look after her brother Ben who depended on her as if she was his mother.

Natasha’s heart ached for Ben, for her step mother seemed to have a total irrational dislike for him.   She was constantly threatening to send him off to boarding school.  Ben hated the idea of being parted from Natasha. She had promised him, she would never allow them to be separated, so like a good step daughter she did every chore that was demanded of her by her step mother, and helped Cook with all the meals, and helped Ben with all his school work, just to keep the peace. As long as she was able to protect Ben, she would continue to do all that was demanded of her.  She was not a lazy person, always the first to rise to help Cook, and often the last to go to bed, after she’d washed and packed away the supper dishes.

Off course her step sister Crystal could not help with household chores, she was too busy studying to become a modiste.   Even with that, Natasha had to help with the practical assignments cutting dress patterns, helping with the garments, so Crystal could get good marks for exams. Her father was the Estate Manager for Lord Brinley. He worked long hours and she did not have the heart to complain about anything to her father, who loved her and Ben.  When he came home in the evenings, he was tired, and she wanted him to enjoy his rest on his favourite arm chair on the veranda sipping his tea and smoking his unhealthy pipe. She had gently tried persuading him to give up his unhealthy vice, but he seemed to lack the will.  He had taken up the habit just after her mother had died four years ago, when Natasha was fifteen and Ben was six. How she missed her mother.  There were times like this afternoon, when she wished her mother was around just to give her and Ben a hug, so they could feel her love. 

‘What are you doing here?  This is private property,’ a voice thundered, bringing Natasha back to the reality of Lord Benedict Brinley, glaring down at her from his equally dangerous looking stallion. Hastily she scampered to her feet, ‘Lord Brinley, it was such a beautiful day ---.’