seven

Birthdays were supposed to be the one day a year where you, as an individual, can be celebrated. However, it didn't quite work that way as a twin. Yes, we got cake and a big old banner in the dining room each year, but those were a shared cake and a shared big old banner.

Even though when I was younger I was a tad bitter about this, I didn't mind as much now. I loved my sister more than anything in the whole entire world, and didn't hold the fact that she wasn't born 24 hours before me, against her.

I loved her so much that I would get up early each year to make her a batch of birthday cookies for breakfast. Usually, the idea of cookies for breakfast was frowned upon, but Allison wasn't the biggest fan of the classic pancakes so I'd do what I knew she'd love. Plus, you were allowed to have more than your prescribed sugar intake on your birthday, right?

That morning I had made three different kinds of cookies, busying myself since 4am. I hadn't even needed to set an alarm to rise so early because, apparently, my brain's gift to me this year was to concoct an entirely new nightmare for my sleeping mind to enjoy.

There wasn't much to it. In fact, it had seemed like a pleasant dream for once, until it had been interrupted abruptly with a terrifying animal mug. The animal looked monster-like, with rough skin and hair around the ears. The image of its eyes felt like it was tattooed on the back of my eyelids, the glowing red orbs; piercing even under thick eyebrows. Its muzzle was wide open in a roar, drool dripping down the pointed teeth that seemed designed to tear into flesh. The creature looked like it could bite anyone's head off.

I had laid awake for about an hour, but after that, I decided I didn't want to be terrified and miserable on my birthday. I washed the dried tears and sweat off my face before setting myself up in the kitchen, silently whisking away. I'm not quite sure if my tactic worked, or if it allowed me to become any less shaken, but it was a good temporary fix.

Allison and I happily devoured the cookies while Mom scolded us about our unhealthy habit like she did every year, before laughing and taking one for herself. Soon after, Kate gave me a present just as I was leaving for school, insisting that she couldn't wait to hand it over. Plus, Allison had already received hers and it was only fair.

Underneath the thin printed wrapping paper lay a worn leather book. Half of the pages were filled with writing and the odd sketch, but the rest of the book remained untouched; the crisp blank pages practically begging to be drawn over. On the center of the cover was a sunken emblem of sorts, with small symbols including a star in the top corner, circles linked together on the side and a depiction of an animal in the middle.

I glanced up at my aunt curiously.

"I know I'm not usually into sentimental crap, but I wanted both you and Allison to get something this year that was important to your family heritage," she explained, gazing at the book.

"It's beautiful. What is it?" I asked.

"I knew if anyone was going to think a beat up journal was beautiful, it was gonna be you," she laughed. "Your great grandmother was a creative type like you. She kept that journal with her until she died."

"It's only half finished," I acknowledged.

"Unfortunately, her death was untimely," Kate nodded, "But, I thought you could fill the rest. Good for a sketchbook, a place to write your thoughts, a dream journal."

I smiled gratefully, even though I was sure that I'd never use it as a dream journal. I'd like to keep my dreams in the dark corner of my mind, where I kept them buried, for as long as possible.

"What does this mean?" I asked, pointing to the confusing symbols on the emblem. This made Kate smirk slightly and wink.

"Well, if you're ever finding yourself wanting to learn about your family, look it up."