Egg on One's Face

Hey guys, thanks for all the views! Are you with me if I say that we need more Medic fanfics out there? Yeah, you are- so let's make it happen!
Oh, and btw, 4 chapters left. :)

"Vater, Ich bin hier!" Stephan's voice rang through the quiet halls along with the howling song of the storm as Mr. Heilburg turned around with a change of face.

"Ah, Stephan- I thought you'll never come!" the old man exclaimed, seemingly running to the lad with wide, open arms.

"I vould never dream of it, Vater," Stephan said as he stepped aside, revealing a younger woman behind him, "ah, und zhis is my fiancé- Gretel Richthofen; she is a lawyer from Cologne, ve met at a conference sefen months ago."

"Ah, of course, come in child, you must be cold from zhe storm- ve vere just about to haff dinner."

The lass beamed and quietly followed the two men to the table where you were seated. The other relatives have come and were excited to meet one another, talking about their lives and experiences, their triumphs and failures and meeting new faces, such as yours. One little girl, one of Medic's second cousins, came up to you and gave your cheeks a slight pinch with her soft, tiny, white hands.

"Mutter, sie ist so schön!" she squealed and looked up at you once more with her sparkling blue eyes.

"Klara, come back here! Don't bother the guest," scolded her mother as she beckoned her daughter to come back. The woman then turned back to you with an apologetic smile. "I'm so sorry, she usually behaves."

"Ach, no harm done," Medic assured as he hugged you with pride, "ja, es ist true, Klara is a behaved little girl, but you see cousin, mein Schatz is just so stunning zhat Klara couldn't help herself."

You blushed as Medic bragged to his cousin, even though it sounded more like a joke than anything. Very quickly, the uncoordinated event dissolved as Mr. Heilburg, preparing to start the dinner formally, sat at the far end of the table, its surface glistening beneath the mellow light of the chandelier above.

"Now zhen," he began, "let us all gazher here and get to know each ozher over zhe dinner zhat my dear chefs haff brilliantly prepared."

He nodded at their direction and promptly sat down. "Now, we eat."

Throughout the meal, you couldn't help noticing the people talking to or about Gretel, Stephan's fiancé. From the looks of it, her posture displayed excellence, and her casual clothing made her look important and intimidating. But sometimes, the focus was on you, and you couldn't help but smile as Medic's lips would curve up in approval, or whenever they mentioned your name in any of their conversations.

"Uncle, isn't Joseph's Freundin just a little darling?"

"Oh, ja- she is just so Schön!"

"Wie heißt du, Kleine?"

"Joseph," Mr. Heilburg said, clearing his throat as he spoke in his deep, raspy voice, seizing the doctor's attention,"vhen you brought zhe Fraülein in, I couldn't believe zhat a voman like her vould be seen in zhis house."

You smiled inwardly. Yes, this is it! He's finally going to accept me, and Medic will finally have his redemption- I knew it! Maybe this visit isn't as bad as I thought it would be...so far, maybe things won't turn out for the worst.

"I mean look at her," continued the elderly, "she practically looks young enough to be your daughter!"

Wait...what?

"At first, I thought you settled in and had a child- for all I care, you could've been her father."

"Nikolaus!" his wife hissed quietly as everyone stopped eating, the worsening situation leaving a bad taste in their mouths.