Chapter 19

[Freshly edited July 25th, 2021.]

Third Month of Spring

Third Era, Year 357

They uncovered countless other documents that had been hidden by servants before the castle had fallen. Caolan used a record of genealogy to create a great tapestry in the throne room that gave the names of all of his ancestors to honor them now that their portraits were gone.

The most disturbing document was an account by a servant of what happened to Caol's court when the Berk overlord took control, documented so someone would know what had become of them. They had been bound and forced down to the cliff below the castle, where each person was beheaded and thrown to the river below. But they had left Caol's body there, so that anyone looking down from the castle would see it and know that their king would never return to save them. It was a reminder of how pointless it would be to fight.

Then the path leading to the ledge had been destroyed.

It took four more years for Ardan to find a way to rebuild the path, and in the meantime he worked quietly to find a new sorcerer for Caolan's court. Caolan was doing just fine as Grand King; he sorted out disputes fairly, didn't overspend on himself or his family, had an heir and two other children already with a fourth soon to be born, and he seemed happy. Except when he spoke to Ardan and saw his pain. Ardan knew it upset Caolan that he could do nothing for him, and Ardan hoped the young king would forgive him.

As soon as the path was rebuilt and the new sorcerer secretly trained, he left Caolan a note and slipped silently into the night.

I have gone to rejoin the one I love. If you were not ready, I would not leave you, but you have proven yourself capable of meeting all the needs of your country. I pray you have a long life and great happiness.

-Ardan

The wind blew gently against him as he made his way along the cliff face. He was content with his decision, prepared to make this his final act. But, even knowing what the account of the executions said, he was still pained to see the bones and scraps of clothing that littered the ledge, hidden among the wild shrubs.

He couldn't give him the proper burial that he deserved, and didn't think it fitting to carry the bones back to the castle - which was why he had kept the document hidden from Caolan. Caol would not have wanted an funeral so long after his death. It was time for everyone to move on. So Ardan gathered the bones and cast them down into the river, all the while thinking of the body they had belonged to. When he found the skull he kissed the brow before sending it to join the other bones below.

When he was done, he stood at the edge of the cliff and looked up at the stars.

"I fulfilled your last request," he said quietly. "Your son is secure on the throne and has the life we could not have. He's done so much good already for Phelin. I feel my work is done, and I want to be with you now. Will you despise me for leaving him now and joining you?"

As if in answer, the breeze changed direction slightly and almost seemed to caress his cheek. Ardan accepted this, and without another thought, stepped from the edge.

Landing in the water made him gasp and he breathed. It burned his lungs and his body tried to tell him that this wasn't right, but he knew better. It was easy to stay under the water when he didn't know which direction the surface was, so he let himself embrace the pain of drowning. He closed his eyes.

A world of brightness met him, and Caol's smiling face. The pain was gone.

"I said I would wait for you," Caol said, extending a hand to him.

Ardan took his hand with tears in his eyes. Their hands felt as they had in life, sold and firm. "Thank you."

"You have been amazing in all you have done," Caol whispered. "You deserve to rest now, my love. Our son will be just fine."

"I know."

Finally, after so many years, Ardan felt happy once more, and he smiled as Caol led him into the Spirit Realm.