Chapter 2

They searched for five hours. Annabeth and the Romans had long since left to get back to San Francisco, and Leo (after a stern talking to from Chiron), had departed for Cabin Nine, eager to share the story of his injury with his cabin mates. Percy was down in the water for a full solid four hours, while Jack spent an hour trying to pick up any cold spots that could be created by the staff.

There wasn't much Nico could do. He sat on the beach and rubbed his chest-right above his heart. Though the majority of the pain was gone, it left him feeling like he had heartburn, constant and burning, and yet slightly dulled. So this was one of the many reasons gods and guardians didn't mix. Certainly a volatile reaction. It wouldn't have happened if they just believed in him. He really needed to talk to North about this whole situation. The big Russian was the main supporter against the idea of gods discovering them, and he refused to tell Nico the answer, responding with 'a lot of bad blood'. Even Jack only seemed to know some mediocre reasons as to why.

Speaking of Jack, the winter spirit was working himself into a frenzy, pacing up and down the beach, muttering under his breath. Nico had watched him for a while but quickly became distracted. He knew what the staff meant to Jack. Every elemental or seasonal spirit apparently had to have some form of channelling their power. Unlike Nico, Bunnymund or even North, they didn't have a built up force of nature inside of them. The staff helped control it; or so Jack thought. Apparently he'd only lost his staff once before, and that had resulted in the Blizzard of '68.

"I've run every current path," Percy trudged out of the water and looked at his watch, "I have dinner with my family tonight. I can't be late. Sorry man."

He patted Jack on the shoulder as he walked past.

"I've still got some creatures on the lookout," Percy offered as he headed up the dunes, "We'll find it."

"You might want to wear a coat," Jack cracked a small smile as he stopped his pacing, "winds raging up a storm out there."

Percy nodded his thanks for the heads up before waving to Nico. The son of Hades himself just sat on the sand, looking at the sun setting over the ocean, finding no real interest in it. Jack sat down next to him, folding his knees up to his chest and resting his knees on the top, all the while wrapping his long arms around his skinny legs.

"So, how screwed are we?" Nico asked conversationally.

"Pretty screwed," Jack replied sadly.

"Do we tell North?" Nico questioned, still looking out at the water.

"Not yet," Jack looked at Nico, "He'll blow a gasket."

"So what are you going to do?" Nico questioned as he watched Jack rub his chest.

"Keep looking. Go find Mother Nature, ask for her help," Jack shrugged as he stood and dusted sand off himself, "Anything but tell North."

"He might be able to help," Nico stood stuck his hands into his pocket.

"He has more important things to worry about," Jack shrugged, "I better be going. No doubt Elizabeth will be hot on my tail for this storm."

"Alright," Nico said warily as he watched Jack fly into the air, with now less cooperative winds to guide him.

Nico himself went to his cabin and changed into warmer clothes, chucking on a pair of fingerless gloves and another layer just to be safe. Though cold didn't affect him as violently as it used to, he could still feel it's cruel bite. The Campers had returned from Olympus, and the snow that had dotted their clothing and hair instantly melted away.

"Someone pissed off the wrong person," he heard one twelve year old mutter as he passed.

Stuffing his hands into his pocket he disappeared into the elongated shadows of the Hecate cabin and appeared in Burgess. There was no storm here, but it was still chilly, and Nico tensed into his jacket. Walkng down the street he saw Jamie and Sophie building a snow man in the front yard with the help of Maria, who was going around and collecting rocks to use as bottoms, eyes and a mouth.