Chapter 5

"I like you a lot Tsukishima-san! Please go out with me!"

'How did I even wind up here?!'

It was the day after Hinata had gone over to Tsukishima's house to study. And even after returning home that evening, Hinata still had a flurry of thoughts running through his head. They flashed between images of flash cards and English notes, to golden honey coloured eyes hidden behind square glasses. But no matter how hard he tried, those eyes would drift back to the forefront of his thoughts. But nonetheless, he moved on the best that he could.

As promised, Hinata had bought Tsukishima a strawberry shortcake and was on his way to give to him, when he heard voices in the stairwell to the roof. He recognized one of the voices to be Tsukishima, and the other to be a girl's voice. Without even thinking, Hinata had hidden himself against the wall, making sure that they wouldn't see him.

But regretted having not just turned around and walked away when he realized that Tsukishima was being confessed to.

He leaned around the corner to take a quick look at what was happening.

They were at the top of the stairs, in front of the exit to the roof. Tsukishima's back was to Hinata, and the girl was bent over in a bow.

"I would, but I'm already busy dealing with someone else right now. Sorry."

'What? Did I hear that correctly? He's already with someone?'

"Oh... Okay. I'm happy for you Tsukishima-san. Sorry for wasting your time."

She started to run away down the stairs, giving Hinata only a few seconds to quickly press himself back against the wall, hoping that she wouldn't see him.

Once the girl was completely out of his vision, Hinata turned the corner to see if Tsukishima was still there, but he had already disappeared onto the roof. When he was 100% certain that no one was around, he made his way up the stairs, still determined to give Tsukishima his payment.

When he reached the roof, Tsukishima turned to look at him.

"Oh, hey Shorty." He said casually, seeming to have completely brushed off the fact that a girl had just asked him out.

"Tsukishima-san! I brought you the cake like I said I would." Hinata stated, holding out a disposable box with a cute little slice of strawberry shortcake neatly kept inside. The label had been taken off, though bits of the white paper were still visible. One plastic spoon was taped to the lid.

"Oh, thank you. I'd nearly forgotten." Tsukishima gave him the slightest bow, taking the cake from his outstretched arms and looking at it intently for a moment. Why did he have to hold back a smile, just then?

"You know what, I'm feeling generous again today. Why don't we share this?" He suggested, turning to head towards the fence, obviously expecting Hinata to follow. Understanding the message, Hinata quickly caught up and sat next to him.

"Oh! Tsukishima, I only brought one spoon for the shortcake since I bought it for you."

"Don't worry about it, I've got a spoon in my bag. You can have the one that came with the cake."

"Okay, thank you!"

'Why am I being so nice to him? Normally he just pisses me off.'

Tsukishima opened the container, then reached into his bag for his own spoon. The two began to eat the cake, both seeming to be trying to take courteously sized spoonfuls. Hinata had been wondering why Tsukishima was being so nice, and who he was so taken with that he had turned down that cute girl, but he merely shrugged it off and continued to eat the surprisingly tasty cake. No wonder it was Tsukishima's favourite. Tsukishima gazed off through the grates in the fence as they ate, trying to avoid looking at the absolute ball of sunshine across from him. Although, when he did happen to look over, Hinata had a dab of icing right next to his lower lip.

"Hey, Shorty. You've missed your mouth." He pointed out. Tsukishima kept trying to tell him where it was, but it was to no avail. With a sigh, Tsukishima reached forward and placed his knuckles against Hinata's jaw as he used his thumb to wipe the icing off. Purely by reflex, he licked the remaining off of his thumb.

After finally realizing what Tsukishima had just done, both boys burst out with a strong red hue that quickly spread throughout their entire faces.

"U-u-uh T-Tsukishima... What did you just..."

"I don't know. S-shut up, idiot." He then stood up and left the roof. Hinata blinked, his hand up to his lips as he watched Tsukishima walk away in a hurry. 'What was that?' He asked himself, his eyes darting to the cake. He moved to close the lid and return the rest of the cake to his bag, all the time blushing like mad. Something about the subtle way Tsukishima's hand had brushed against his face and the way he licked the icing from his hand was so... attractive.

'Woah, woah, woah! Hold on! What on earth am I thinking about!?' Hinata scolded himself, yet he couldn't shake that thought or feeling from his mind.