Chapter 2: Of Family and Home

Back on Marlinspike Drive, a consistent hum rang out over the hill.

It was misplaced, strange and didn't go unnoticed by the occupants on the road.

With a flutter, a small group of azure birds sitting in the street finally decided looked up. They'd been sitting in the middle of the dirt road with the hope no one would bother them in their daily brunch of scattered seeds and scattered ants crawling through the dust. Their black, beady eyes peered left and right, before resting on a glinting light advancing toward them at a rapid pace.

Today, their peace was short lived.

With a broken cord, the small fowl rose up in a flurry of blue feathers and wings, cawing after the speedy journalist that passed.

A smile broke on Tintin's face as he zoomed down the dirt street, wind whipping through his copper toned hair that stuck out underneath his helmet. Unlike at the wharf, it was a fairly present day back at home, scattered clouds trailing across the blue backdrop of the sky.

In his opinion, it was perfect for a ride on his motorcycle.

Tintin slowed to turn onto the long, winding drive of Marlinspike Hall, the manor glimmering agiast the afternoon sun. As he got off his bike, he heard the sound of a dog barking, followed by a loud crash.

"BLUE BLISTERING BARNACLES!"

Tintin smiled at the familiar curse and walked up the steps towards the front door of Marlinspike Hall, his worn, blue, helmet tucked securely underneath his arm. Waiting on the other side of the door, he heard his canine companion howling and scratching impatiently, eager to see his master. Tintin pushed open the door and was greeted by a white blur leaping onto him with such force, it almost knocked him off his feet.

"Snowy!" Tintin giggled, holding a hand over the terriers snout in an attempt to control his dog's furious licking. The young reporter looked up to see Captain Haddock storming towards him, his teeth clenched in boiling rage.

"Uh oh..."

"Lad," Captain Haddock sighed in exasperation. "That dog of yours needs to learn to be more careful! That vase could've done him in!"

Tintin managed to look behind the Captain to see Nestor sweeping up the shards of said glass vase that had stood on the table near the door. Captain Haddock was right, the vase was huge and certainly heavy. Tintin fliched, it could've easily done one of them in if they weren't so careful to avoid knocking it over.

"I'm sorry, about the vase, Captain. It won't happen again."

The Captain's face softened in seeing the lad flushing in embarrassment. He didn't mean to hurt his feelings, especially today. Haddock knew well he could sometimes overreact. "It's alright, my boy." the Captain consoled, a smile playing on his lips as he put a hand on his shoulder. He leaned in close to whisper, "I never liked that vase much, anyway. It was from 'Her' if you know who I mean..."

Tintin laughed, all worry slipping away. "I'm glad it wasn't special to you."

"I've been looking for a way to break it since Christmas. Accidentally, of course."

"There's always the bonfire you have on Hallow's Eve."

"Oh, yes, the annual Castafiore Bonfire." Captain Haddock reflected, a hint of mock nostalgia in his eyes. "Those are some good times..."

Ever since he could remember, Bianca had a knack for giving extravagant gifts, usually leaving the receiver speechless in such an honor.

To Haddock, there was no honor in receiving any of her gifts.