1 | Crash And Burn

Song title that inspired this chapter: Crash and Burn by Thomas Rhett

Unedited.
- - -

He could no longer count the times he had done this for his brother.

He'd always been the one to drive in the early hours of the morning to pick up the drunk, who's breath smelled so strongly of alcohol that he had to hold back bile rising in his throat. Yet, day after day, week after week, month after month, he'd continue to do this favor no matter how much he needed to sleep. He loved his brother too much to let him get into an accident.

But perhaps not even a safe driver can prevent a crash.

At 3:11 a.m. on December 5th, 2015, Lyndon Benson and his brother, Jarrett Benson, were smashed into by another vehicle, one much larger than their own. But they were not alone; there had been girl in the driver's seat, her blond hair flowing over her shoulders like crashing waves, her emerald eyes trained on the road, which was slick with black ice. Lyndon had warned her about coming, nonetheless, she insisted on being his extra set of eyes.

Such a pity she didn't see the truck run the stoplight. Then maybe the three of them wouldn't have ended up with their heads against hospital pillows and their bodies hooked up to tubes and machines.

Of course, Jarrett had been too drunk to comprehend anything happening at that moment, and felt next to nothing as shreds of glass dug into his skin and his lack of a seatbelt sent him flying into the front section of the vehicle.

Lyndon, however, was all too aware of what happened. Though he had little more than a few seconds before his world went dark, his mind dwelled on so many topics. Would he go to Hell? Heaven? Was this his fault? Were they all going to die?

The police, who were immediately called by witnesses, had shook their heads in dismay as they pulled the mangled bodies of three young adults from the wreck. The girl couldn't have been over eighteen, and the younger boy appeared as if he had graduated highschool a year or so beforehand. The older boy looked to be in his mid twenties, though his wounded face made it hard to identify an age. None of them were conscious, and pale, cold expressions on their faces ran chills down the officers' backs.

The hospital by which the three were brought to tended to them as soon as possible, and by morning had announced to the weeping, distraught families that they were all deep in comas. The time that they would come out was unpredictable, if ever.

But while the rest of the world began to lose hope, the young souls were just awakening to experience something no human would ever be able to imagine.

◾ ◾ ◾

Thoughts? Opinion? Anything at all just comment, I'd like to hear some feedback.

Desirae.