Chapter 1. Hello Delilah

"BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" My alarm clock rang. I rolled over, my eyes still puffy from lack of sleep. My alarm clock read 4:30 and I quickly rolled out of bed. I went over to my small bathroom where I took a cold shower and quickly changed into an over-sized red sweatshirt, some worn-out blue skinny jeans, along with my black boots and thick framed glasses. I finished putting on my simple makeup of mascara, winged eyeliner, and red lipstick. I quickly rushed to the kitchen to start breakfast before the early risers awoke. I had just finished the first round of breakfast when the older kids walked in. Markus was the first to enter. He loomed over me, which isn't hard considering he's 6'6 and I'm 5'5. He quickly sat down and bit into his eggs and toast.

"It's. Cold." He snarled and raised his hand to strike me. As I cowered, waiting for the blow to come, someone held his hand back.

"Give her a break. It's the first day of school." Jonathan, the Alpha's best friend, had stopped him. I signed him 'thank you' before serving him his food.

After a three more hours of serving breakfast, I was able to grab an apple to eat as I grabbed my worn backpack and ran out the door, hoping to catch the bus before I left. I nearly missed it but was able to catch it just in time. I waved to the bus driver as boarded and headed to the back of the bus. I slid into a seat next to Arianna. 'How's it going?' she signed as I slid my backpack onto the floor. Her short, red hair gleamed in the sunlight coming through the open bus window. 'Same as usual. Same old daily torture.' I slowly signed back. She frowned, hating this subject. I sighed and pulled out my earbuds and decided to listen to music instead of dealing with everyone. Halfway through the bus ride I zoned out, letting the music take me away. Suddenly, someone yanked the earbuds out of my ears. I turned to see who did it and saw Markus standing there.

"Oh look what we have here, our little runt of the pack decided to go to school. It'd be a shame if something, I don't know, happened to her. Now that would just be horrible." he mocked as he threw my earbuds to the ground and stomped on them and they broke into dozens of pieces. I held back tears as they mocked me, Arianna being blissfully unaware, was still looking out the window. Finally we arrived at school and I quickly grabbed my backpack and got off the bus. I rushed to first hour after being nearly late because Markus and his friends stole my backpack. I quickly sat down with my books and copied down everything from the board.

"Hello class, my name is Professor Jared and I shall be your physics teacher. Now, since I am new here, let's go around and introduce ourselves shall we."

Professor Jared was around 6'4. He had Blond hair and wore thin rimmed wire glasses. He scanned the clouds, looking for a willing participant. I kept my head down in my notebook, trying not to be noticed, but to no avail.

"Ah yes, you miss in the back. The one with the red sweater. What is your name dear?"

A couple students triffled a laugh.

"Sir, she can't speak!" One student burst out with a laugh. Others followed behind.Professor Jared just smiled.

"Well then, you must know sign-language. I know a bit, but not enough for everyday conversation. Say, do you have a notebook and pen that you could use to write thing down?"

I nodded and pulled out a simple spiral notebook, nearly falling appart from use. Some pages almost had holes warn into them from so much erasing. I had had this for years. He smiled and continued on with class. As I was walking out of class, he stopped me.

"I noticed your notebook is a little, worn. Here, I have an extra. Use this instead."

He handed me a brand new red spiral notebook. I smiled and signed 'thank you' and quickly left class to go to my locker. The rest of the day was pure hell, I was just bullied all day with almost no relent. I finally got some peace and quiet as soon as I got home. Dinner wasn't to be served for several hours. I quickly headed downstairs to my small room in the basement and started on my homework. Arianna joined me later as I prepared dinner for the pack. We signed and cooked for hours. That night, I decided to tell her of my plans.

'Arianna. I need to tell you something. I can't sign this for fear your brother might understand.' I said (telepathically of course. We have a silent communication system.) 'Delilah, please don't tell me what I think it is.'

'I'm sorry. I just can't stay here much longer. I'm leaving Friday night. I felt like I had to tell you so you wouldn't hate me.'

She put down her knife from chopping tomatoes and hugged me tighter then I had ever been hugged. Tears fell down both our faces. She let go of me, sniffling, and said she had to go get something and ran out of the room crying. Soon, Markus came in.

"Well well well. Look what you did. You made poor Arianna cry. Now that wasn't nice was it. Someone's been a bad girl."

He said as I cowered in the corner. He raised his hand and slapped me. Tears rolled down my face as he grabbed a rolling pin and started hitting me over and over again. Nobody came to my aid as I could not make a sound. After about ten minutes he stopped. My eyes were red and puffy, my skin black and blue from the rolling pin. I ran downstairs and barricaded myself in my room. I sat on my bed and cried for hours. This was the last straw. I was leaving tonight. I grabbed my backpack and threw everything I owned in it. Mostly clothes. I left a note on my bed and waited. After I knew that everyone was asleep, I quietly opened my door and creeped out. As soon as I had left the pack house, I ran at a dead sprint towards the woods bordering the house. I ran for hours, despite being weak from being underfed. As soon as dawn approached, I found a clearing. I ran out and saw a building. I was so weak and tired but I had to find saftey. I ran up to the door. I knocked and a young lady with Light brown hair opened the door.

"May I help you?" I opened my mouth and collapsed on the porch as the world started to fade from view and darkness took it's place.