Chapter Sixteen

(Jaydon’s P.O.V)

                After speaking with Lissy about talking to Anthony, I had headed straight towards his place, my confidence built up. I was going to do it. Though as soon as I pulled up to his driveway, it suddenly all disappeared, and here I was now sitting in my car, deciding whether or not I should go in. Beside me, my phone vibrated, and it was a text from Melissa:

                You can do it Jayjay! Call me once who have spoken to him. Love you.

                I sighed softly and placed my phone back where it was in the cup holder and got out of my car, shutting the door, and heading towards his door. I rang the doorbell and waited. I heard footsteps come from inside the house, and in the next moment the door opened to show Anthony’s mother. She was always the one to answer the door, it never seized to surprise me.

                “Hey,” I spoke softly. I was just the other day I was standing here, with the same intention to talk to Anthony. “Is Anthony home?”

                “Yeah, he’s upstairs, in his room.” His mother let me in, but something on her face was different. She wasn’t in a good mood, that much was evident. I wonder if Anthony had told her something about me? Or what happened today? I shook my head, casting a smile towards his mother and headed upstairs.

                I didn’t even bother to knock on his door, just opened it. Inside I saw him on his bed asleep, and curled up in his blankets. I probably would be doing the same thing if I wasn’t here to talk to him. There was no indication that he had heard me come in, so I went on and moved to his bed and lay down beside him.

                Not speaking a word, I just stared at him, like I had this morning. I really did miss this. But couldn’t he see that what he did to me, hurt me? It wasn’t just going away, and the “we’ll stay in touch, don’t worry”, he completely cut me off from his life, like he had no intention that he would come back, but he is now.

                “Jay… You know I don’t like it when you stare at me,” Anthony mumbled and opened his eyes to look at me.

                “I know,” I offered a little smile, but his expression stayed placid. “Look, I really need to talk to you.” I propped my head up against a pillow and looked at him.

                “Go ahead.”

                I sighed and took a breath in, “I might have been a douche lately, but look at it from my side. You left me – telling me to forget about you – forget you, after we’ve been dating, for what, 3 years? You didn’t even tell me you were leaving, you didn’t even give me time to let it sit and register what was going on. Then you tell me to forget you. Not even to stay in touch. And I realize that over the years we’ve been apart that we would drift, but just to go all cold turkey on me?

                “Then you suspect, coming back, that everything will just be the same? Well, I’m sorry to break it to you, but it’s not, nor it will be. We’ve grown up, we’ve experienced different things. I’m different and you’re different. Let’s face it, we’re going to have to get along with each other, since we do have the same friends here. But you can’t expect me to just fall back into the role of your boyfriend. All I think we can be is friends, and I hope that will be okay with you.” I spoke quickly, getting everything in before Anthony could speak his mind.

                “I know,” Anthony spoke and closed his eyes, pulling his blankets closer to his body, “And I regret everything I said that day I left. I just guessed you would be happy that I was coming back, and that we could get back together. Every day I was away from you, I missed you. I never got over you. I couldn’t date other people because all I ever thought about was you, and there wasn’t enough room for someone else. And when my parents told me that we were coming back, I was happy. I sent you that letter, and I guess – I guess I just thought we would get back together, assuming you missed me just as much as I missed you.”