Fisher - The Future is Mine

Sci-Fi Showdown Round 2.0 - Dystopian Quotes (Quotes Highlighted in Bold)

Fisher - The Future is Mine

The moments right before a kill are always the worst.

That short period of time is the most terrifying experience a sane person can ever have. It's during those painful seconds that human fallacy, the pure fragility of physical existence, seems the most clear. The fact that you might be breathing your last breath, that your life may have reached its end, that all your preparations and study might have been for naught, is impossible to ignore.

There is nothing else that fills the body with as much power and adrenaline as knowing that you hold the end of another being's life in your hands and the adrenaline momentary clouds the functioning of your moral compass. Although this is the closest you can get to death, there is never a moment you feel more alive - it is a sensation unlike any other.

Thankfully, the regret wouldn't show up until later.

Wes Fisher took a long, calming breath, eyeing his target through the scope of his sniper rifle. He had waited so long for this moment. Many years of painful sacrifice had gotten him here and many lives had been lost along the way. But all of that hard work was finally coming to a culmination. Today he would show them that he was more than just a slave.

Today he would change the world.

He just needed to do his job.

He wiped the rain water off his scope and cleared his throat. The night was freezing cold; the heavy summer rain had chilled him to the bone and the wind was constantly threatening to throw him off this roof and into oblivion. But his own health was the least of his worries. He had a mission. Failure was not an option. It was time to get to work.

He slowly panned the crosshairs over the outline of the gigantic skyscraper, gliding past the rows of slick, moonlit windows. He counted them out one by one, searching for the only room that mattered to him: the room where the enemy was hiding.

"Target is in Room 89-B?"

"Affirmative," replied Kyrsha, the red haired, twenty-two year old Private that was lying on the rooftop beside him, logging their location into a computer.

Fisher nodded and settled his aim on the appropriate window. He imagined the man that was sitting inside that room, imagined how safe he must feel behind that bulletproof glass, those reinforced walls, that sophisticated security system. But no amount of tinting would be enough to protect him from the greatest Commander the military had ever seen. The Army had placed that man's head on a platter and now his reign of terror was finally coming to an end - Fisher was here to make sure of that. The target only had a few more minutes to live and death by gunshot wounds was a fitting end to his infamous existence. Fisher's target wouldn't harm anyone else ever again.

Pill Dodgers all deserved to die.

He shook his head at the irony of that thought. He had been sent to kill the Pill Dodger, when he was no better than a Pill Dodger himself.

Fisher activated his gun's infrared sensors and the adjacent room sprang to vibrant, orange and blue light. He could now see every heat source, human or otherwise, that was inside. There was a single orange colored outline, pacing back and forth with his hand up to his head like he was holding a cell phone. Wes centered his sights over where the target's head should be, stretched his neck and steeled himself. It was time.

"Got a bead on the target?" Kyrsha asked.

"Yeah, I got him," Fisher replied.

He squeezed the handle of the rifle hard and took a deep breath to keep from shaking. This shot had to be perfect. He would have to compensate for the speed of the wind, the interference by the rain, the thinness of the air caused by their altitude - everything. But he could pull it off, and he wouldn't need the help of the gun's automated aim assist either. He was much too good for that.