Chapter 9. Fremont Canal

It must be a beautiful sight if observed from the bridge. Dark water, strips of zigzagging light reflections, a trio of white-maned girls performing a synchronized swimming routine, stretching out their arms in elaborate moves, accompanied by their mesmerizing humming and advanced water skills, turning the boat in a perfect circle; two startled teenagers gawking at them, gripping the edges of the boat like mad. Luckily, I don't hear a single soul, not on the bridge, and not on either shore. I flick my eyes to Hunter in panic, as if asking, What do we do now? We haven't even discussed how we're going to catch them, or with what—nothing! He winks at me, drops his head into a nod, as if saying, It's okay, I got it, just follow my lead.

"Hey girls. Long time no see," he says, squeezing my hand three times. "A bit too cold to go skinny dipping at night in September, don't you think? I like your hair, though, as always. Your hair looks awesome."

They giggle, Canosa falling silent first as she studies me from under her long, curly eyelashes, her face stern. Ligeia and Teles continue snickering, pointing at Hunter and mouthing something to each other.

Our party of five breaks into two staring contests.

There is me and Canosa; we size each other up quietly, without words. And then there is Hunter with Teles and Ligeia, both devouring him openly with their hungry gawks, lustily smiling and shaking their hair in that attention-demanding manner.

"Hunter Crossby, where have you been? We missed you. Oh, we missed you so much!" Ligeia says, tilting her head to the side causing her wet locks to roll off her bare shoulders. No doubt, a practiced movement.

"Shhh! Shut up, remember what Canosa said," Teles hisses into her ear, clasping the edge of the boat.

"So? What I say is none of your business, so get off me. Get your fingers off me! You're annoying me," Ligeia says. They remind me of two typical high school girls from the mean girl clique. It's like I'm reliving my high school nightmare, again.

"What's up, Teles?" Hunter says.

"Oh, nothing, nothing in particular," she says, and lowers her head as if she's blushing.

They engage in meaningless banter, Hunter clearly trying to stave them off while thinking about what to do next.

Meanwhile, Canosa is quiet. Her stare is so demanding I can feel it on my skin. Her hair glistens in the moon light, wet and braided with lust. I guess I expected something, anything, an acknowledgement about what she did; a nod that said she's sorry. There is none of that, only a self-indulgent gaze and egoistic demeanor. Like I owe her something, like it's my fault, like somehow I have wronged her and not the other way around.

"I'm waiting," she finally says.

I stare back. "Waiting for what?"

"For an apology," she balks, like it was the most obvious thing in the world and I have the misfortune to miss it.

All caution evaporates from my mind in one instant.

"Really? An apology. You're asking for an apology? You stinking traitor," I say, my heart rate rapidly rising.

Hunter steps on my bare foot, but it's too late. The words escape me at an alarming rate.

"How can you. All this talk about siren family, what we do for each other, all this bullshit you've been feeding me. For what? To serve your own purposes. You even turned me into a siren for your sick little game with my father. I'm no more than a pawn to you, and as soon as you're done with me, you'll dispose of me." I catch a breath.

"Well, fuck you! You're a traitor and a liar. You made a deal with my father and sold me out. Sold both of us out. Me and Hunter. And you weren't ever going to show me where my mom is, were you? In fact, I'm not even sure you were here when she jumped. It was just another lie, to get me going, to make me do stuff for you, wasn't it?" Hunter stomps on my foot again, and I fall quiet for a moment, waiting.