39

( ONE BY ONE )

CASSIE'S HOUSE

      Cassie sits at the desk in the lounge. There is a knock at the door. "Dean!" She yells.

      "Hey." Dean says.

      "Hey. Come on in." Cassie says and moves out the way.

      Dean steps into the doorframe. "So...you busy, or..." He drones.

      "The paper's doing a tribute to Jimmy. I was just going through his stuff...his awards. Trying to find the words." Cassie says.

      "That's gotta be tough." Dean says.

      Cassie looks extremely sad. "For years this family owned the paper. The Dorians? They had a whites only policy. After they sold it Jimmy became the first black reporter. He didn't stop til he became editor. He taught me everything..." She drifts off. "Where's your brother? And that one girl."

      "Elena. And they're not here." Dean says.

      "All right. So, uh, what brings you here?" Cassie asks.

      "Trying to find the connection between the three victims. By the way, did you talk to your mum about, what Todd said about not being a racist? Dean asks.

      Cassie nods. "I did. She didn't want to talk about it." She says.

      "Right."

      There's a long pause. "So just then, why did you ask where my brother was? And what's the deal with you and Elena?" Dean asks.

      "Nothing. It wasn't important." She averts.

      "Could it be because, without Sam here it's just you and me? Not you, me and Elena which would be easier?"

      "It's not easier...Look, are you and Elena together...I..."

      Dean turns away. "No. Forget it. It's fine. We'll keep it strictly business." He says.

      Cassie stares after Dean. "I forgot you do that." She says.

      "Do what?" He asks.

      "Oh. Whenever we get, what's the word...close? Anywhere in the neighbourhood of emotional vulnerability, you back off. Or make some joke. Or find any way to shut the door on me." She says.

      Dean gets offended and barks out a laugh. "Oh that's hilarious." He begins walking back to stand in front of her. "See, I'm not the one who took that big final door and slammed it behind me."

      "Ok wait a minute..." Cassie starts, but gets interrupted by Dean.

     "And I'm not the one who took the key and buried it." He accuses.

      "We done with this metaphor?"

      Dean looks utterly pissed. "Alls I'm saying is I was totally up front with you back then, and you nailed me for it." He says.

      "The guy I'm with, the guy I'm hoping might be in my future, tell's me he professionally pops ghosts." Cassie says.

      "That's not the words I used!" Dean yells.

      "And that he has to leave, to go work with his father." She continues.

      Dean had gotten red. "I did!" He yells again.

      "All I could think was, If you want out fine, but don't tell me this insane story." She says.

      Dean raises his voice and gets in her face. "It was the truth Cassie, and I notice it didn't sound insane the minute you thought I could help you."