Lost - Steve Rogers One Shot

You went left then right and another left before realizing you were completely lost within this huge tower. You have always been poor with directions, not that it really mattered because most of New York was a big circle in most cases and you would eventually wind your way back to where you needed to be. Here in the tower it was a different story, you've been working here as a file keeper(it's what you liked to call it because you didn't like the word Secretary, too formal and boring.) You've always had a lot of energy, very bubbly and pretty happy most of the time but you hated your lack of direction.

"Ugh!! Why does this darn tower have so many hallways and turns!" You plopped down onto the floor against the wall hoping in vein someone would come rescue you from yourself and your awful mapping skills.

Meanwhile back at the top of said tower Stark was being nosy and checking the cameras around the tower. Something he liked to affectionately call 'keeping an eye on things' but everyone knows he's just a nosy man who wants to know everything he can about every person in his tower. So when he saw the girl sitting against the wall down near the lab area he knew there was only on person she'd want to see and one person who'd be more than willing to help her out. Cap.

"Hey, Capsicle, what are you doing right now?" Tony blabbed keeping an eye on the screen to keep the girl in sight but to be fair it didn't seem like she was going to be getting up any time soon.

"Nothing, Stark, what do you need now?" The blond was getting tired of being the one this over-grown child called on every minute and cursed that he was too nice to say no to him most of those times. It was ridiculous how much like a child he was, how needy he was and how often he needed validation that he was still important. It drove Steve crazy but he was the only one that could deal with it and stay cool(except for those occasional times when he did but nobody counts those, right?)

"I need you to go rescue this cute little damsel in distress, she seems lost again. Poor girl couldn't find her way out of a paper bag if her life depended on it." Tony chuckled before showing Steve the screen, his blue eyes recognized the girl immediately and he started to make his way to her.

Back in the hallway you felt helpless and wanted to try an make your way back as best you could but you were conflicted between staying or going. Getting more lost within the tower or the possibility of someone actually coming to help you so you decided to stay put for a little while longer. It wasn't very comfortable and your butt was going numb but it wasn't long after your decision that you finally heard footsteps coming your way. You wanted it to be Steve but anyone other than Tony or Fury would be great to you because everyone else was tolerable or even friendly. You ended up going into a daydream about Steve before you even realized he was standing in front of you.

"Hello? You alright?" You quickly shook your thoughts away and nodded, clearly embarrassed because of your situation being made worse because of the daydream. You've known Steve ever since you started working here about three years ago and in all that time you've still not managed to memorize the tower and managed to fall in love with Cap himself, the same man that always seemed to know you needed his help. There were occasions the others found you and you were grateful all the same but because you really liked Steve the times he's helped you stand out more in your mind.

"Yeah, um sorry about this." You sort of pointed around you indicating you were talking about the situation and he gave you a kind smile.

"Not a problem at all, it's nice to help someone who's grateful for a change." You laughed because you knew exactly who he was talking about and got up to walk with him back to where you needed to go in the first place.

"Thanks for helping me Steve, I mean it. I have the worst since of direction but you always seem to find me!" You gave him a large smile before taking his hand and started swinging it back and fourth. You weren't even sure where you got that habit but a habit it was and now you did it with practically everyone except fury because be was mean and not so tolerant of said behaviour.

"Um, so, why were you down there anyways? I mean I know you're bad with directions but there's never anything down that way you need." He was still kind, still let you hold and swing his hand even though the contact made his heart flutter, and still walked in pace with you.

"Oh, about that. . ." You went silent for a moment and stopped walking.

"I was looking for someone who might know where you were because, well, I was wondering if you'd like to come over to my place and have dinner and watch some movies?" Even though your voice was small and you stared intently at the ground while you asked him he heard you.

"Why me?" That was the first thing out of his mouth because he didn't understand why a woman as sweet and as happy as you wanted to be around someone like him. He always thought you'd be with someone like Tony, someone who was high energy and always having fun. He certainly wasn't any of those things and so your question, flattered him yes, but also confused him.

"Because you're a lot more fun to be around than anyone else and, um, I really like you. You're always so nice to me and always make sure I'm fine even though I haven't even done anything to warrant an injury you worry about me. I makes me feel wanted and liked, you know?" You gave him the same large small as always before looking up at the ceiling and counting the small circles along it.

"I've not had as much support as the rest of your team, I've got no fighting skills and I'm pretty useless with a gun but you still treat me like I'm part of the team, like I have something to offer when clearly I don't." The more he heard you speak so bad about yourself the more hurt and angry he felt. Maybe it wasn't anger but it certainly wasn't a good feeling, dread almost.

"Stop, just, stop. I'll correct everything you said in a moment but I have to say you are incredible. You are a wonderful person with a heart of gold, any man or woman would be happy to have you around because you are so much fun to be with. I love to be around you because it's you not because you have any skill sets that I'd find useful but because it's you. You are the reason, the only reason, that people are around. You make people laugh, keep people working hard and keep helping even when you don't know what to say. Even though you're not great with directions that doesn't matter because you're heart's in the right place. I'd really love to go with you to your place tonight, how about eight?" You were in tears, happy, and left completely speechless because of everything he just said so all you could do was nod.

When eight o'clock rolled around and you heard the knock on the door you had just finished making a very simple dinner for the two of you. Something you learned from your grandparents and did every night you could manage to do so. You weren't dressed up in fact you had dress in your favorite lazy day clothes because this wasn't the first time Steve had seen you in them. He came over a year back for a surprise for your birthday with the team and you hadn't been told(because it was a surprise. . .duh) and so they all got to see your best pair of lazy day clothes.

"Come in!" You called from the kitchen and heard the door open and close before hearing Steve's voice.

The night couldn't have gone any better, he let you lean on his shoulder or hold his hand when you got scared. You two shared a gentle kiss and talked late into the night before you ended up falling asleep on the couch while he was in the bathroom. He looked around for your room before finding it and moving you there but you wouldn't let him go and he was forced to lay next to you. He'd never do this on any other occasion, he was far too much a gentleman but for you he'd do whatever he needed to in order to make you happy.