Chapter ten

Right I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've had this in my works for a while I just felt like I hadn't written enough but I had no idea what else to write. Sorry everyone. And thanks to everyone reading, voting and commenting, it means a lot :)

Excuse the mistakes, feel free to point them out!

The rain was drizzling throughout our journey back. Releasing a monstrous roar, the sky allowed lighting to strike in the distance.  As Matthew and I made our way up the steps of his home, the oak wood creaked in protest. Droplets of water raced down the walls and gathered together at the base. He sighed.

"Okay Jen, I know you weren't expecting any hunters to be living with you any time soon, but you're going to have to get used to it."

Matthew smiled sheepishly as I shot him a glare, "Don't tell me-"

"Yep, it's your most favourite people in the world."

"Great." I rolled my eyes.

Matthew opened the door and all eyes in the living room gazed upon us. They greeted Matthew with smiles but as they looked upon me their smiles dropped in an instant.

"What's the leecher doing here?" Alexa, my best friend, spat.

"I won't be held responsible for my actions if the little whore calls me that again." I snarled.

The blonde haired guy - Jake if I remember correctly - stood and walked towards Matthew and I.

Jake whispered to Matthew, "You can't expect us to let her stay here do you?" He glanced at me with disgust.

I scoffed.

"Listen Jack-" oh, it's Jack. Whoops. "We have to let her stay, her father and I-"

"You spoke to Michael Clarke?!" Jack, Slut face and the other hunter said in unison.

"-yes, and we came to an agreement-"

"An agreement?!"

"Yes! We talked and came to a fucking agreement! Now stop interrupting me!" He signed and pinched the bridge of his nose, "As I was saying, we need to keep Jennifer safe and right now here is the only safe place."

A laugh sounded and we all turned to the source, "You have got to me kidding me? Okay, first of all we're trying to capture it and now you want us to look after it?! You go and talk to her father, not about the plans we originally wanted to talk to him about but about his own fucking daughter?! What happened to all the plans we made, the money we wanted? All down the drain! And for what? A spoilt brat who thinks she owns the world because of who her parents are! Do you even remember what we fight for Matt?"

"Yes, of course I do-"

"No," she spat, "I don't think you do! Let me remind you," she walked towards Matt and got up in his face, "We fight because it's the only thing we know. We fight because we have no other choice. We fight to rid the world of vampires who hurt and kill innocent human beings. Innocent people! Do I really have to remind that some of us have lost our friends and family because of them? You all of people should understand that-"

The hunter who's watching Alexa with a gormless expression suddenly snapped out of his daze, "Alex, you have no right to talk about that. You don't want to talk about your situation so you can't talk about his."

"Thanks James," Matthew nodded to the other hunter.

She shot James a glare, "As I was saying, you've got Jennifer here who can waltz about doing whatever she pleases because she's got it easy. We don't. We don't have it easy. Think about all those times when one of us comes back bleeding, broken - inside and out - because of her kind. And now you want to protect one of them? I'm starting to believe you're not on our side anymore." She prodded his chest, "Think about who you're fighting for: us, your family, or them."

She turned and her eyes narrowed at me, "I'm leaving, don't expect me to return until this thing is gone."

Alexa stormed past me, making sure to shove my shoulder on the way out. I couldn't help myself.

"You're leaving? You're not even in your 50 Shades of Grey getup." She answered with a slammed door.

"What crawled up her ass and died?"

***

I jumped onto the double bed I was given and sighed. The double bed was placed against the back wall in the centre, two side table next to it. An oak door was in the corner of the room which led to an ensuite bathroom. Matthew leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed. His muscles peeking out under his tight grey shirt. He cleared his throat and my eyes snapped up to his face. An eyebrow raised on his face.

"What?" I mumbled.

I swear I could feel my face heating up. Is it me or is it hot in here?

"Do you like it?" Matthew said, gesturing to the room.

I nodded, "I do."

Suddenly I frowned and stood, going towards the wardrobe. I checked it for any mothballs.

"Alexa got rid of them after the... Incident."

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I buried my face into my hands, "I'm so, so sorry."

I could feel Matthew move closer, "It's not your fault-"

I looked up at him, "But it was! I'm stronger than that! I should have controlled my emotion better than I did! None of that would of happened to you otherwise!"

A shuddery breath escaped my parted lips, "Ugh, what's happening to me? I feel so weak." I clenched my fists, "I am weak. I've been captured by you twice, almost three times. And you're just a hunter-"

"Thanks."

"And Adam tossed me about like I was nothing. I was no match for him. And now I can't even look after myself and I'm in your care. A hunter's care. Who would've thought? A vampire being looked after by her own enemy."

I felt the bed dip beside me and an arm hesitantly wrap around my shoulder. Like a deer caught in headlights, I froze. Matthew just sat there. There was no movement between us, only the circling movement of his thumb on my shoulder. It took a few moments before I relaxed into his touch. A shaky sigh passed my lips.

"Everything will be okay," He whispered.

I wish.