Chapter 68

'You'll be back soon, won't you?'

Frankie searched for comfort in her brother's gaze as she smoothed the front of his familiar leather jacket. She knew better than to ask him to stay, despite the fact that she felt they had hardly had a chance to collect their thoughts about the previous day. They needed to sort the trouble with Donny, which meant Fred would be searching for him off his own back. Manchester was the first natural destination, so he and Junior were packed and ready to drive there in the hopes of finding the fucker.

She hadn't asked what they were going to do to him when they found him. She didn't want to know.

Freddie placed his large hands onto Frankie's shoulders and rubbed his thumbs along each side of her neck comfortingly. 'Before you even know it.'

They looked at one another for a moment, Freddie's gaze reassuring as he leant down to kiss her cheek. She closed her eyes at the touch, exhaling softly as she willed her anxieties away. When she opened her eyes a moment later, she glanced over towards their son, who was standing near Fred's car saying his goodbyes to Katie.

'You keep him safe,' said Frankie then, firmly, as she turned back to meet her brother's look, placing one hand against his cheek. 'Yourself, too. Understand?'

Fred inhaled deeply through his nose and nodded a few times, his eyes never leaving hers. It was too risky to kiss in that moment, but the look they gave one another said all the affection they needed to.

Far too quickly, Fred pulled away from her and meandered down the pavement, cocking his head towards Junior to signal that they needed to leave. Frankie leaned against the doorway, her brows knitted though she refused to let herself cry, and watched the two men, father and son, get into the BMW. Before they drove off, Junior waved to his mum, and she raised her hand in return, forcing a smile as she watched them start down the road.

Katie headed back towards the house, a bit serious having sensed the atmosphered but not quite as upset as Frankie. She was staying the night, as Frankie had asked her to, though she hadn't raised any questions. She knew better, she was shrewd, and this was something Franks liked about the girl. She was a good fit for her Junior, was Katie, and would one day make a proper member of the Evans clan.

Fred and Frankie were the only ones alive who knew just how much of an Evans she really was.