Goodbyes

Leia

"Don't worry about me, Leia," Han said soothingly as Leia prepared to board the ship that would take her to Felucia. Leia held back tears as she wrapped her arms tightly around Han's broad shoulders. "But what if this is, goodbye?" she asked, her voice cracking between words. He was going to Mandalore with her father to hunt down the assault ship that had attacked the Temple. Leia tried not to think about how many people that ship has wounded. And killed.

Han released a hearty laugh. "Come on, I'm too darn good looking for the Empire to blow into bits," he assured her with his usual confidence. Leia managed to laugh weakly but she still felt the tears. "I'm serious, Han. I don't want to lose you." She swallowed hard. "I love you."

Something in Han's eyes changed. His hazel gems stared at her for a long moment. He finally spoke.

"I know."

Leia didn't know what to make of his reply. I know? That's it? No 'I love you too' or just about anything else? Now Leia had more reason than one to swallow down her tears.

"I'll call you on the holopad tonight," he promised before kissing her forehead. Leia watched him swagger away to his ship and wondered if she would ever see that confident walk again.

Before the tears in her eyes had time to fall, Leia noticed her parents approaching. Her mother's eyes were wet and Leia assumed that they must have just come from saying goodbye to Luke. Her father however, was stone-cold. As if his body was walking toward her and his mind was in another galaxy.

Padme came forward and wrapped her daughter up in an emotional hug. Leia squeezed hard. "I'll be okay Mom," she promised. Her mother sniffled softly. "I know you will," she agreed before pulling away. Now it was her father's turn to speak.

"Leia," he began unsteadily. Immediately his voice gave away the secret his face had managed to hide. He was worried. He was scared. "Just promise me something," he continued with desperate eyes. Leia nodded instantly. "Anything Dad." Anakin set his strong hands on her shoulders.

"If something happens out there, and I'm not here anymore, you and your brother will... Look after your mother... Look after each other."

The anger Leia had felt the night before melted away. She hugged her father's waist and buried her nose in the familiar smell of his cloak. She knew it would be some time before she smelled him again.

"I will Daddy."

Anakin

Anakin held his daughter close to him for a long minute. He stroked her long brown hair as he tried to forget about how he might be saying goodbye for the last time.

When he finally forced himself to let go, tears threatening to spill from his icy blue eyes. The thought occurred to him to stop everything and call off the mission right there, but before he knew it, an intercom called for all personal leaving for Mandalore to board their shuttles. Taking his wife's hand in his, Anakin walked away from his daughter, his princess.

Aboard their ship, the Wanderer, Anakin and Padme stood rigidly on the observation deck. From their viewpoint, they could just make out the rounded durasteel shell of the ship Leia would take to Felucia, the Royal Star. Even as they rose for take off, Anakin locked his eyes on the ship. May the Force be with you Leia.

As the Wanderer took off into hyperspace, Anakin thought about his son. Unlike with Leia, saying goodbye to Luke was much less sentimental. His son had seemed distant, like he was lost in some sort of future world. Anakin had tried to apologize for what had said the day before but it was no use.

"Luke, I'm sorry about last night. I just want you to know I- please be safe Luke."

"Yeah Dad."

"You'll be just fine out there."

"Thanks."

"Have you said goodbye to your sister yet?"

"Leia? No."

"Well we're heading down there right now. Why don't you come along?"

"I have to finish preparing the ship."

Anakin shook the concern from his mind. Luke was probably just nervous, as anyone would be on their first mission alone. At least Rex was going to be there with him. There wasn't a more experienced soldier in the galaxy than the old captain. Anakin knew he could trust him.

Padme rested her head on her husband's shoulder. "Just promise me we'll see them again, Anakin," she begged softly. Anakin remained silent for a long time. It was an impossible guarantee that he couldn't afford to make. "The Force will be with them," he said instead.

May it be with us all.