Chapter One

Snow twirled through the crisp air, settling on delicate tree branches and creating a white wonderland. Lights of every colour twinkled and shimmered on the roofs of houses, and street lights glowed warmly. It was finally the night before Christmas Eve.

    I gazed out the window, stomach twisting with nervous anticipation. A week ago, I had met my soon-to-be adoptive parents, and today was the day I'd finally be able to go to my new home. I had started to lose hope of ever being adopted since I had turned sixteen at the beginning of the year, and was overjoyed when I found out I had a family interested in adopting me.

    This would be the first Christmas I had spent outside of the adoption center since I was twelve, and I was beyond excited. The holidays were my favourite, but it just wasn't the same when I was stuck in a building with many other younger children.

    A soft knock on my door made me jolt, and I looked away from the frosty window, greeting one of the center helpers - Jenn - with a shy smile. "Kevin, they're here," she informed me excitedly. Of course she would miss having me around, but she was happy for me.

    I crawled off of my bed by the window and grabbed my suitcase. I had packed it earlier to save time, yet ended up just pacing my room with nothing to do in the evening. I headed to the door and turned around, taking a last look at my room of four years.

    I turned away, shaking it off. I wouldn't miss it much, but it was still weird leaving such a big part of my life behind. Following Jenn downstairs, I willed my nerves away, trying to psych myself up for this new change. My suitcase bumped and clacked down the wooden staircase, thankfully not getting tangled in the warm lights and bows that lined the railing.

    Once we had made our way into the office, I recognized my to-be parents immediately and grinned at them. My stomach was flipping uncontrollably; this was finally it. This was finally happening.

    "Kevin, honey!" Susan - or, my mother, now...that would take some getting used to - enveloped me in a warm embrace, smiling widely. When she pulled away, my...father, Matthew, pulled me into a quick hug, grinning excitedly.

    "We've been SO excited all week, Kevin! We got your room all ready, although we'll leave decorating and all that to you if you'd like," Susan, rambled. "Oh, you'll have to write us a Christmas wishlist! It's in two days, you know." I laughed shyly, feeling quite overwhelmed and giddy.

    Matthew turned to Jenn, handing her a large stack of papers covered in very important looking writing. "All of the papers are signed, and I don't think we missed anything. If we did, just give us a call and we'll come back in and fix it," he said politely. Jenn nodded, facing me.

    "I promised I wouldn't cry," she began, already tearing up. I was like a child to her. She had known me since the day I had been admitted to the center, and we had got along really well. I shook my head, pleading with my eyes to stop watering.

    "Who's cutting onions in here?" I joked in a trembly voice as Jenn hugged me tightly. Jenn kind of sob-laughed, pulling away. "I'll miss your ridiculous jokes. Promise to call me all the time and tell me how you're doing?" She queried. "Of course. I promise," I sniffed, cursing myself inwardly for being emotional. "Thank you for everything."

    "I'll bring Kevin here anytime he wants to visit you," Susan assured us. After a last hug, I regained my composure and picked my suitcase back up. "Bye, Jenn. Have a good Christmas." "Bye, Kevin; you too."

    With that, after a last look at around the adoption center, I followed Susan and Matthew outside to their car. Matthew helped me get my bag in the trunk, and then I climbed into the backseat. Susan got in the passenger seat, and Matthew started the car to her left. Once we were on our way, Susan started a conversation. I noticed Matthew wasn't nearly as talkative, but that was okay, because he was kind to me.