Chapter 4 - "Call the police."

Sadly luck never seemed to be on my side, as I tripped over a protruding branch, landing face first into a pile of muddy wet leaves that crunched loudly, probably alerting the world of my presence, as I fell.

And in that moment the only question ringing through my head was 'why me? 'My knees hurt and I had grazed my arms, wanting to just lay there and wallow in my own pool of self pity.

However, it wasn't long until a scream escaped my lips, resonating through the miles of woodland that I felt a hand grab onto my leg. Whoever it was had a strong grip on me, hauling me backwards. I flailed around my arms and leg in a pathetic attempt to break free, but it was dejectedly to no avail.

I clawed my fingers deeper into the ground as I felt the wet mud finding a home in my nails. It felt unbelievably gross and I cringed at the disturbing feeling. Instead I grasped onto the first thing my hands found, squinting my eyes through the darkness.

My screams began to grow louder, as the birds in the overhead trees began to caw and disperse, leaving me alone and afraid.

"Honestly, shut up Ava!" I stopped my cries for help when my hand instantly found my cheek rubbing the pained skin that was beginning to grow hot as his hand retracted from my face. I was stunned as I had never been slapped on the face before that I didn't react further when I was dragged back to the mansion like house as if they were a pack of predators, claiming their prey to be taken back to the cave.

I was the sad lonely prey that was well aware of the inevitable end.

However, instead of being yanked the remainder of the way, seeing as it would probably be too much work, I was lifted from the cold, wet and now mud stained floor and tossed over the broad shoulder of Luke like a rag doll.

Sometimes he seemed broader than the horizon and I wondered how he managed to fit through doors.

Fighting against him, or as a matter of fact any of them would be useless and get me past no prevail. I accepted defeat, something my father always taught me never to succumb to, but what was I, a mere 17 year old girl, to do?

With a growling stomach and a pounding headache, the only thing I wanted to succumb to at this point in time was the sweet escape of sleep.

My clothes were tattered, ripped in most places from being dragged across the floor.

My hair was tangled and I felt it being weighed down by the wet mud that clung to it and was slowly starting to dry up. Much like my determination.

Would it be too much to ask for a trip to the bath and sit in there for all eternity?

I was petrified of what would happen now. Surely I would be punished? I thought.

I didn't get much longer to predict what was to come, as I was harshly thrown onto a couch, my head hitting the armrest.

It only added to the throbbing in my head and I felt like exploding.

I scrambled away, shrinking further into myself as the four boys came closer to me.

I hid my face behind the barrier that my hands created and shuffled myself further into the soft cushions.

I heard deep laughter as they seemed to find humour in my misery.

Peeking through the small gaps of my fingers and opening my eyelids I stole a quick glance at them when something stopped me.

I dropped my hands, slumping them into my lap as I studied the four faces closely.

I squinted my eyes and thought for a second as to why they seemed so familiar.

"Wondering who we are sweetheart?" the hazel eyed boy spoke. I nodded my head in response, not quite being able to figure it out.

Not too long after, Luke had grabbed the remote from the fancy looking coffee table in front of me and switched on the mounted, flat screen plasma TV that hung effortlessly from the cream coloured walls.

Just how rich were these boys?

I could barely afford to buy myself a packet of gum once a week. Sure my parents weren't the richest, but they made enough for us to get by.

Although they both worked long hours each, they made just about enough to provide. It truly did suck because that meant they were hardly ever home and I never actually would get the opportunity to sit down with them and feel like a proper 'family'.

For most teenagers the feeling of barely having any parents home meant freedom under no supervision.

But for me, it meant I was alone.

And being an only child didn't really help either.

After watching Luke flick to various different channels, he finally settled on one and I gasped at what was being shown.

It was a news channel.

But that wasn't what I was shocked about.

It was the fact that it showed a picture of my parents – the very people who I hadn't seen for days.

They worked together, bringing peace and safety to the country. My father was a police officer and my mother was an on scene forensic scientist.

They were perfect for each other. But their work seemed tough as they would receive calls most late nights and early mornings, being out for almost the entire day.

'It's tough, but it's worth it' my mother had said to me one day when I voiced my thoughts. Being able to protect people and be like a hero figure must be.

The voice of the interview sounded through the vast space of the large room.

"Three males between the ages of 23 to 25 have escaped prison earlier this week following up on the recent criminal offences that have been taking place. From crimes like theft and robbery to torturing young females and even murder, these three criminal offenders are now loose on the street. The breakout of Ashton Irwin, Calum Hood and Michael Clifford had been led by the fourth criminal offender who had not yet been caught; Luke Hemmings."

The pristine screen then flicked to a mugshot of each of the very boys standing in front of me, who each held a smirk on their face.

"If you or anyone you may know has seen any of these criminals, do not hesitate to call the police."

The screen suddenly turned off as Luke placed the remote back where it was, before a devious smile crawled onto his face as he turned towards me.

If I wasn't already scared enough before, I most definitely was now.